The Rutgers Scarlet Knights (12-15, 2-12 Big 10) welcome the Northwestern Wildcats (15-11, 6-7 Big 10) to Louis Brown Athletic Center. The Scarlet Knights will attempt to snap their seven-game losing streak. Northwestern is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 125.5 points. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights Betting Preview
In the Wildcats last contest, they lost to the Maryland Terrapins, 73-57. With 20 points on 8-for-20 shooting, Scottie Lindsey led Northwestern in scoring. Maryland had an effective field goal percentage of 0.618 (above their season average of 0.551). Northwestern, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.9 (above their season average of 29.3).
The Scarlet Knights are trying to rebound after their 67-55 loss to the Nebraska Cornhuskers in their last matchup. With 11 points and nine rebounds, Rutgers Eugene Omoruyi put together a solid game. Nebraska did a great job of converting from the free throw line (14-19; 73.7 percent). Rutgers, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.8 (above their season average of 33.5).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nations slowest-paced teams battle. Rutgers currently ranks 275th in possessions per game (67.7) and Northwestern is 305th (66.9).
Games involving these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Northwestern games have gone under 65.2 percent of the time, while Rutgers games have finished under 63.2 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wildcats have a substantial advantage. They are 15-11 SU and 10-13 ATS, while the Scarlet Knights are 12-15 SU and 9-9-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Wildcats won all three matchups played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Northwestern won 83-61. The Wildcats dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.280 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 45.0. For those same stats, the Scarlet Knights put up marks of 0.151 and 25.0, respectively.
Northwestern Wildcats at Rutgers Scarlet Knights ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Northwestern, ATS Winner – Northwestern, O/U – Under
- The Wildcats rank 123rd in assists per game (14.2) while the Scarlet Knights rank 265th (10.0).
- Rutgers ranks 57th in steals per game (7.3) while Northwestern ranks 91st in steals allowed per game (5.8).
- Rutgers is 8-3-1 ATS at home, while Northwestern is 4-8 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 7 of the Wildcats 12 road games, while 8 of the Scarlet Knights 12 home games have gone under.
- Rutgers ranks 20th in rebounds per game (39.7) while Northwestern ranks 222nd (33.8).
- The Wildcats rank 121st in three pointers attempted per game (22.8) while the Scarlet Knights rank 303rd (15.0).
- Northwestern ranks 42nd in blocks per game (4.4) while Rutgers ranks 186th in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- Rutgers is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Northwestern is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Scarlet Knights have been outscored by an average of 16.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Rutgers has defeated opponents by an average of 1.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 60.4 points per game (10.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.8 points per game (5.0 below their season average).