Expect a low-scoring game when the Northwestern Wildcats (13-9, 4-5 Big 10) and No. 23 Michigan Wolverines (17-6, 6-4 Big 10) face off at Crisler Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 130.5 points with Michigan opening as a 9-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018.
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Michigan Wolverines Betting Preview
The Wildcats were victorious over the Minnesota Golden Gophers in their last game, 77-69. With 18 points, 13 rebounds and five assists, Northwestern’s Vic Law had a solid game. Northwestern dominated every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.321 (above their season average of 0.232) and a turnover percentage of 13.1 (better than their season average of 15.1). For those same stats, Minnesota put up marks of 0.169 and 14.3, respectively.
The last time the Wolverines played, they were beaten by the No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers, 92-88. Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman was Michigan’s high scorer with 26 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Purdue did a fantastic job of making free throws (19-23; 82.6 percent). Michigan, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.0 (above their season average of 27.3).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nations slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Michigan currently ranks 328th in possessions per game (66.0) and Northwestern is 259th (68.3).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Northwestern games have gone under 57.9 percent of the time, while 59.1 percent of games featuring Michigan have finished under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wolverines have a clear advantage. They are 17-6 SU and 13-9 ATS, while the Wildcats are 13-9 SU and 8-11 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Wildcats won the lone contest last season, 67-65. Northwestern had a better effective field goal percentage (0.578 vs. 0.529). Michigan, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.216 vs. 0.157).
Northwestern Wildcats at Michigan Wolverines Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Northwestern, O/U – Under
- The Wolverines rank 33rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.6) while the Wildcats rank 63rd (32.6).
- Michigan is fifth in the NCAA with 15.7 three pointers allowed per game while Northwestern is 28th with 18.6 three pointers allowed per game.
- Northwestern is 3-6 ATS on the road with 4 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Michigan is 6-5 ATS with 8 unders and 3 overs.
- Michigan ranks 25th in assists allowed per game (10.7) while Northwestern ranks 151st (13.7).
- The Wildcats rank 29th in blocks per game (4.9) while the Wolverines rank 111th (3.3).
- Michigan ranks ninth in steals allowed per game (4.5) while Northwestern ranks 74th (5.8).
- Michigan is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Northwestern is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Wolverines average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 11.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 68.2 points per game (4.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average).