The Northwestern State Demons (3-20, 0-12 SthLnd), who are currently on a 15-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they visit William R. Johnson Coliseum to meet the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (19-5, 8-3 SthLnd). Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Northwestern State Demons vs. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks ATS Preview
In the Demons last matchup, they were beaten by the Lamar Cardinals, 79-75. Northwestern State’s Ishmael Lane contributed 10 points and nine rebounds in the contest. Lamar had a much better turnover percentage (16.1 vs. 22.2). Northwestern State, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (24-34; 70.6 percent).
The Lumberjacks come in on a high note after topping the McNeese State Cowboys in their last contest, 99-95. Stephen F. Austin’s Leon Gilmore III played a pivotal role with 14 points and 10 rebounds. The Lumberjacks forced 22 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.644 (above their season average of 0.539).
The sharp-shooting offense of Stephen F. Austin will battle against the bottom-tier defense of Northwestern State. The Lumberjacks currently rank 58th in effective field goal percentage (0.544), while the Demons are 278th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.528). The Lumberjacks figure to have the edge on that side of the ball. It could also be a mistake-prone game for the Demons offense, which ranks 347th in ball protection (turnover percentage of 23.6 percent). They’ll be going up against the top-notch defense of the Lumberjacks, which forces the most turnovers in the nation (28.5 percent).
Lane has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Northwestern State, averaging 16.0 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Lumberjacks won 64-56. The Lumberjacks played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5 and an absurd free throw rate of 0.417. For those same stats, the Demons were 22.0 and 0.306, respectively. Kevon Harris was the games leading scorer with 20 points.
Northwestern State Demons at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Free Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Northwestern State, ATS Winner – Northwestern State, O/U – Under
- The Demons rank 69th in blocks per game (4.0) while the Lumberjacks rank 147th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 264th in three pointers attempted per game (18.1) while Northwestern State ranks 293rd (15.9).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 42nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while Northwestern State ranks 266th (38.5).
- The Lumberjacks rank first in steals per game (10.7) while the Demons rank 218th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 117th in assists per game (14.2) while Northwestern State ranks 275th (9.0).
- The Lumberjacks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, down from 11.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Demons have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.8 points per game (1.8 above their season average).