The Northwestern State Demons (2-8) travel to Nicholls to play the Colonels (6-7) in what should be a fast-paced game. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Northwestern State Demons vs. Nicholls Colonels ATS Preview
In the Demons last game, they lost big to the Utah Runnin’ Utes, 84-62. With 18 points on 6-for-17 shooting, Iziahiah Sweeney was Northwestern State’s leading scorer. Utah did a great job of making free throws (17-23; 73.9 percent). Northwestern State, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (28.6 vs. 28.2).
The Colonels are trying to rebound after their 95-89 loss to the Seattle Redhawks in their last contest. Roddy Peters was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Seattle was lights out from beyond the arc (14-27; 51.9 percent). Nicholls, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 16.7).
There should be a fair amount of transition offense in this contest that features a pair of the nations more up-tempo teams. Nicholls ranks third in possessions per game (82.0) and Northwestern State is 41st (74.6). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Demons. They rank 336th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 23.2 percent), while the Colonels force the 40th-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 23.1 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Demons won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last game, Northwestern State won 80-78. Northwestern State had a better turnover percentage (11.0 vs. 15.0). Nicholls, meanwhile, made 11 of its 27 three pointers (40.7 percent).
Northwestern State Demons at Nicholls Colonels Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nicholls, ATS Winner – Nicholls, O/U – Over
- The Colonels rank second in steals per game (10.9) while the Demons rank 171st in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- Nicholls ranks 58th in blocks per game (4.3) while Northwestern State ranks 103rd in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Nicholls ranks 26th in three pointers attempted per game (27.5) while Northwestern State ranks 240th in three pointers allowed per game (26.3).
- The Colonels rank 34th in assists per game (17.2) while the Demons rank 241st (9.7).
- Nicholls averages 38.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 60th in the nation. Northwestern State ranks 256th in rebounds allowed per game (40.7).
- The Colonels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 6.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Demons have scored an average of 68.2 points per game (2.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.4 points per game (3.1 below their season average).