The Northwestern State Demons (2-10, 0-2 SthLnd), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they visit American Bank Center to challenge the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (3-9, 0-2 SthLnd). Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Northwestern State Demons vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders Betting Preview,
The Demons lost to the McNeese State Cowboys in their last game, 72-63. Northwestern State’s Ishmael Lane had 11 points and nine rebounds in the game. McNeese State did a fantastic job of making free throws (9-12; 75.0 percent). Northwestern State, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 21.0).
The last time the Islanders played, they were beaten by the Lamar Cardinals, 77-72. Joe Kilgore was Texas A&M-Corpus Christi’s high scorer with 23 points on 7-for-23 shooting. Lamar had an effective field goal percentage of 0.573 (above their season average of 0.511). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.1 (above their season average of 30.4).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Northwestern State offense. Northwestern State ranks 339th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 23.5 percent), while the gambling defense of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi forces the 17th-most turnovers in the NCAA (24.3 percent).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Demons, it’s been Lane, who has averaged 14.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.8 blocks and 1.2 steals, while the Islanders have received great contributions from Kilgore (18.8 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.6 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Islanders won the only contest played against each other last season, 99-82. The Islanders dominated every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 42.4 and a fantastic free throw rate of 0.413. The Demons were 26.2 and 0.344, respectively, for those same stats.
Northwestern State Demons vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, ATS Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, O/U – Over
- The Islanders rank 273rd in three pointers attempted per game (13.9) while the Demons rank 227th in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 216th in assists per game (11.8) while Northwestern State ranks 246th (8.9).
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 79th in rebounds allowed per game (33.5) while Northwestern State ranks 249th (40.3).
- The Islanders average 7.6 steals per game, which ranks 50th in the nation. The Demons rank 170th in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- Northwestern State ranks 85th in blocks per game (3.8) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 131st in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- The Islanders average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.4, up from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Demons have scored an average of 64.6 points per game (0.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 86.6 points per game (3.8 above their season average).