The Northwestern State Demons (3-13, 0-5 SthLnd), who are currently on an eight-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they visit Johnson Coliseum to go head-to-head against the Sam Houston State Bearkats (10-8, 4-1 SthLnd). Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Northwestern State Demons vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Betting Preview
The Demons fell to the Abilene Christian Wildcats in their last contest, 69-58. Ishmael Lane had a good game for Northwestern State, leading both teams in scoring with 22 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Abilene Christian forced the Demons into a turnover percentage of 25.7 (above their season average of 19.5). Northwestern State, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.354 (above their season average of 0.228).
In the Bearkats last game, they defeated the Houston Baptist Huskies, 81-68. Christopher Galbreath Jr. played a key role for Sam Houston State with 15 points and 13 rebounds. Sam Houston State played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.362 (above their season average of 0.203) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.9 (below their season average of 30.9). Houston Baptist put up marks of 0.129 and 24.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Sam Houston State should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Bearkats currently rank 100th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.484), while Northwestern State is 348th in effective field goal percentage (0.437).
Lane has really been playing well over the last five games for Northwestern State, averaging 13.0 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.6 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Bearkats won the only game last season, 77-68. The Bearkats played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.233 and a turnover percentage of 19.3. The Demons were 0.186 and 22.2, respectively, for those same stats.
Northwestern State Demons vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northwestern State, ATS Winner – Northwestern State, O/U – Under
- The Demons rank 138th in three pointers allowed per game (22.1) while the Bearkats rank 238th (25.8).
- Northwestern State averages 3.9 blocks per game, which ranks 76th in the nation. Sam Houston State ranks 116th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Sam Houston State ranks 56th in rebounds per game (38.4) while Northwestern State ranks 243rd in rebounds allowed per game (38.8).
- The Bearkats rank 71st in assists per game (15.4) while the Demons rank 256th (9.7).
- Sam Houston State ranks 30th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Northwestern State ranks 185th (8.0).
- The Bearkats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.8, up from 4.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Demons have scored an average of 57.6 points per game (7.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (6.5 below their season average).