Hor foes will collide when the Youngstown State Penguins (6-17, 4-6 Hor) take on the Northern Kentucky Norse (15-7, 8-2 Hor) at Beeghly Physical Education Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 152.5 points with Northern Kentucky opening as a 12.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018.
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. Youngstown State Penguins Betting Preview
The last time the Norse played, they had no trouble getting past the Detroit Titans, 72-44. With 12 points and 13 rebounds, Northern Kentucky’s Drew McDonald had a solid game. Northern Kentucky dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.551 (above their season average of 0.549) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.9 (above their season average of 28.8). For those same stats, Detroit was 0.311 and 24.4, respectively.
The Penguins are trying to rebound after their 85-67 loss to the Green Bay Phoenix in their last outing. Cameron Morse was Youngstown State’s leading scorer with 17 points on 5-for-10 shooting. Green Bay had a turnover percentage of 10.6 (better than their season average of 17.2). Youngstown State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (39.5 vs. 27.5).
Youngstown State might have a tough time finding the bottom of the net as they clash against one of the nation’s best defenses. Northern Kentucky ranks 10th in defensive efficiency while the Penguins rank 263rd in offensive efficiency.
Of Northern Kentucky’s 19 games that accepted bets, 12 have finished under the projected point total, while 10 of Youngstown State’s 20 games have finished over the projected point total. The Norse hold a sizable advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 15-7 SU and 13-6 ATS, while the Penguins are 6-17 SU and 9-11 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Norse won two out of three games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Northern Kentucky won 84-74. The Norse dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.605 and a free throw rate of 0.145. For those same stats, the Penguins were 0.508 and 0.123, respectively.
Northern Kentucky Norse at Youngstown State Penguins Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Northern Kentucky, O/U – Under
- The Norse rank 50th in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while the Penguins rank 79th (20.4).
- Northern Kentucky averages 36.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 116th in the nation. Youngstown State ranks 124th in rebounds allowed per game (34.5).
- Northern Kentucky is 7-3 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- At home, Youngstown State is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Northern Kentucky ranks 27th in assists allowed per game (11.0) while Youngstown State ranks 244th (16.5).
- The Norse rank 20th in steals per game (8.1) while the Penguins rank 157th in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 108th in blocks per game (3.4) while Youngstown State ranks 169th in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- Youngstown State is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Northern Kentucky is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Penguins’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.0, down from 6.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Norse have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.2 points per game (2.8 below their season average).