A six-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Oakland Golden Grizzlies (9-5, 1-1 Hor) when they clash against the Northern Kentucky Norse (9-5, 2-0 Hor) at Athletics Center Orena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 159 points with Northern Kentucky set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018.
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. Oakland Golden Grizzlies Betting Preview
The Norse had no trouble getting past the UIC Flames in their last contest, 86-51. Drew McDonald was the games leading scorer with 19 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Northern Kentucky dominated every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.349 (above their season average of 0.232) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8 (above their season average of 29.7). UIC put up marks of 0.161 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Golden Grizzlies played, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Green Bay Phoenix, 80-79. Kendrick Nunn was the games leading scorer with 33 points on 11-for-26 shooting. Green Bay did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (15-17; 88.2 percent). Oakland, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.7 (better than their season average of 17.1).
The offense of Oakland (153rd in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 107.4) will face off against the elite defense of Northern Kentucky (20th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 91.2). The Norse should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Of Northern Kentucky’s 11 games with betting action, seven have finished under the O/U total, while 6 of Oakland’s 12 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (9-5 for Northern Kentucky; 9-5 for Oakland), but the Norse have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Northern Kentucky is 9-2 ATS, while the Golden Grizzlies are 5-7.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Norse, it’s been McDonald, who has averaged 20.0 points and 9.4 rebounds, while the Golden Grizzlies have received solid contributions from Jalen Hayes (24.6 points and 8.6 rebounds).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Golden Grizzlies won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last game, Oakland won 79-70. The Golden Grizzlies played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.276 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.543. The Norse were 0.190 and 0.460, respectively, for those same stats.
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. Oakland Golden Grizzlies Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Oakland, O/U – Over
- The Norse rank 146th in rebounds per game (35.9) while the Golden Grizzlies rank 198th in rebounds allowed per game (37.4).
- Oakland is 14th in the nation with 17.1 three pointers allowed per game while Northern Kentucky is 36th with 19.1 three pointers allowed per game.
- Oakland is 2-1 ATS at home, while Northern Kentucky is 4-2 ATS on the road.
- In 6 road games, the Norse have 3 overs and 3 unders.
- The Golden Grizzlies have 2 overs and 1 under in 3 home games.
- Northern Kentucky averages 18.2 assists per game, which ranks 12th in the nation. Oakland ranks 169th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- The Norse average 8.4 steals per game, which ranks 26th in the NCAA. The Golden Grizzlies rank 171st in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Oakland ranks 27th in blocks per game (5.4) while Northern Kentucky ranks 131st (3.0).
- Oakland is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Northern Kentucky is 4-0 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Golden Grizzlies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 1.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Norse have scored an average of 77.4 points per game (4.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.6 points per game (1.6 below their season average).