A five-game home winning streak is on the line for the UMBC Retrievers (7-5) when they welcome the Northern Kentucky Norse (7-3) to Retriever Activities Center. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 17, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. UMBC Retrievers ATS Preview
In the Norse’s last outing, they had no trouble getting past the Eastern Kentucky Colonels, 91-63. With 21 points, six rebounds and five steals, Carson Williams put together a good performance for Northern Kentucky. Northern Kentucky played a perfect game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 51.7 (above their season average of 28.8) and a turnover percentage of 11.4 (better than their season average of 15.9).Eastern Kentucky had marks of 29.4 and 19.0, respectively, for those same stats.
The Retrievers hope to maintain momentum after beating the Coppin State Eagles in their last game, 81-74. Arkel Lamar had a good outing for UMBC, finishing with 14 points and 13 rebounds. The Retrievers made 19 of their 25 free throws (76.0 percent) and held the Eagles to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below the 30.5 mark opponents have averaged against UMBC this season).
It could be an error-filled game for the UMBC offense. UMBC ranks 205th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.7 percent), while the gambling defense of Northern Kentucky forces the eighth-most turnovers in the nation (25.5 percent). Moreover, the Norse’s 25th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 117.3) will square off against the Retrievers 259th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 106.4).
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. UMBC Retrievers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Northern Kentucky, O/U – Over
- Northern Kentucky ranks 43rd in three pointers allowed per game (18.9) while UMBC ranks 221st (24.3).
- The Norse rank 12th in assists allowed per game (10.2) while the Retrievers rank 174th (14.5).
- Northern Kentucky averages 8.7 steals per game, which ranks 20th in the nation. UMBC ranks 175th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- The Retrievers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.0, up from 5.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Norse have scored an average of 86.8 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 61.0 points per game (3.9 below their season average).