The NIT matchup between the Louisville Cardinals (20-13) and the Northern Kentucky Norse (22-9) will take place at KFC Yum! Center. Louisville opened as a 9-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 149 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. Louisville Cardinals Free Preview
In the Norse’s last matchup, they lost to the Cleveland State Vikings, 89-80. Northern Kentucky’s Drew McDonald had a solid performance, leading both teams in scoring with 24 points on 8-for-16 shooting. Cleveland State had a turnover percentage of 10.0 (better than their season average of 17.4). Northern Kentucky, meanwhile, held the Vikings to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.0 (below the 26.8 mark opponents have averaged against Northern Kentucky this season).
The Cardinals are hoping for a better outcome after their 75-58 loss to the No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers in their last game. Ray Spalding led Louisville in scoring with 16 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Virginia had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7 (above their season average of 27.2). Louisville, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (13-14; 92.9 percent).
This matchup pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Northern Kentucky ranks 40th in effective field goal percentage (0.548) and Louisville is 22nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.468).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Northern Kentucky games have gone under 60.7 percent of the time, while games involving Louisville have gone over 61.3 percent of the time. The Norse come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 22-9 SU and 17-11 ATS, while the Cardinals are 20-13 SU and 16-14-1 ATS.
Northern Kentucky Norse at Louisville Cardinals Betting Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Louisville, ATS Winner – Northern Kentucky, O/U – Under
- The Norse average 7.5 steals per game, which ranks 37th in the nation. The Cardinals rank 117th in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- Northern Kentucky averages 23.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 97th in the NCAA. Louisville ranks 124th in three pointers allowed per game (21.0).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 72nd in rebounds allowed per game (33.0) while Louisville ranks 243rd (37.0).
- The Cardinals average 6.2 blocks per game, which ranks fourth in the nation. The Norse rank 142nd in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 23rd in assists per game (16.5) while Louisville ranks 146th (13.6).
- The Cardinals have been outscored by an average of 2.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Louisville has defeated opponents by an average of 5.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Norse have scored an average of 74.2 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (1.4 above their season average).