The Detroit Titans (4-11, 0-3 Hor) and the Northern Kentucky Norse (10-5, 3-0 Hor) square off at Calihan Hall. The Titans will attempt to snap their nine-game losing streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 166 points with Northern Kentucky opening as a 12.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. Detroit Titans Free Preview
In the Norse’s last game, they defeated the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, 87-83. Carson Williams led Northern Kentucky in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Northern Kentucky won the rebounding battle. The Norse had more offensive rebounds (11 vs. four), defensive rebounds (27 vs. 21) and total rebounds (38 vs. 25).
The Titans are hoping for a better outcome after their 80-73 loss to the Wright State Raiders in their last game. With 13 points and 12 rebounds, Detroit’s Kameron Chatman played well. Wright State had a turnover percentage of 13.9 (better than their season average of 17.9). Detroit, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.254 (above their season average of 0.240).
The offense of Detroit (139th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 108.0) will face off against the elite defense of Northern Kentucky (30th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 93.0). The Norse should have the edge on that end of the court. ,
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Northern Kentucky games have finished under 58.3 percent of the time, while 57.1 percent of games including Detroit have finished over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Norse have a significant advantage. They are 10-5 SU and 10-2 ATS, while the Titans are 4-11 SU and 6-7-1 ATS.
Drew McDonald has been superb over the last five games for Northern Kentucky, averaging 21.8 points and 10.6 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Norse won both contests played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Northern Kentucky won 101-87. The Norse played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.686 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 44.0. For those same stats, the Titans were 0.290 and 30.8, respectively.
Northern Kentucky Norse vs. Detroit Titans Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Northern Kentucky, O/U – Under
- The Norse rank 29th in steals per game (8.2) while the Titans rank 89th (6.7).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 127th in blocks per game (3.1) while Detroit ranks 138th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Detroit is 2-2-1 ATS at home, while Northern Kentucky is 5-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 3 of the Titans 5 home games, while 4 of the Norse’s 7 road games have gone over.
- Northern Kentucky averages 17.7 assists per game, which ranks 20th in the NCAA. Detroit ranks 236th in assists allowed per game (17.4).
- The Norse rank 94th in rebounds allowed per game (33.7) while the Titans rank 254th (39.9).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 42nd in three pointers allowed per game (19.2) while Detroit ranks 181st (23.3).
- Detroit is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Northern Kentucky is 4-0 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Titans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 4.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Norse have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (5.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.6 points per game (1.1 above their season average).