The Northern Illinois Huskies (10-13, 3-7 MAC) look to snap a nine-game road losing streak when they take on the Toledo Rockets (16-7, 8-2 MAC) at Savage Arena. Toledo is a 14-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 153 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018.
Northern Illinois Huskies at Toledo Rockets Betting Preview
In the Huskies last contest, they lost to the Miami (OH) RedHawks, 81-65. Justin Thomas had a good performance for Northern Illinois, leading the team in scoring with 14 points on 5-for-8 shooting. Miami (OH) had an effective field goal percentage of 0.655 (above their season average of 0.516). Northern Illinois, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 15.1).
The Rockets come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Akron Zips in their last contest, 77-56. Toledo rallied around Tre’Shaun Fletcher, who was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Toledo played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.196 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 26.5). Akron recorded marks of 0.034 and 23.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Toledo could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their productive offense faces off against one of the nations worst defenses. The Rockets currently rank 32nd in offensive efficiency, while Northern Illinois ranks 276th in defensive efficiency.
Of Northern Illinois 19 games with betting action, 10 have finished over the projected point total, while 10 of Toledo’s 20 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rockets have a clear advantage. They are 16-7 SU and 11-9 ATS, while the Huskies are 10-13 SU and 8-10-1 ATS.
Fletcher has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Toledo, averaging 19.8 points, 9.2 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Rockets won the most recent game 88-80. The Rockets played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 46.4 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.345. The Huskies were 31.6 and 0.242, respectively, for those same stats.
Northern Illinois Huskies vs. Toledo Rockets Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Toledo, ATS Winner – Toledo, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank 82nd in blocks per game (3.8) while the Huskies rank 159th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Toledo ranks 78th in rebounds per game (37.6) while Northern Illinois ranks 154th in rebounds allowed per game (35.0).
- Toledo is 4-5 ATS at home, while Northern Illinois is 3-8-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Rockets 9 home games, while 7 of the Huskies 12 road games have gone over.
- Toledo ranks 47th in assists per game (15.9) while Northern Illinois ranks 261st (10.0).
- The Rockets rank 65th in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while the Huskies rank 273rd (16.4).
- Northern Illinois ranks 80th in steals per game (6.9) while Toledo ranks 227th (4.0).
- Toledo is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Northern Illinois is 1-3-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.2, up from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 72.8 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.0 points per game (2.7 above their season average).