The Charleston Cougars (25-7, 16-4 CAA) and the Northeastern Huskies (23-9, 16-4 CAA) go head-to-head in the Colonial Conference Tourney at North Charleston Coliseum. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 6, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Northeastern Huskies vs. Charleston Cougars Odds Preview
In the Huskies last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the UNCW Seahawks, 79-52. Vasa Pusica was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 8-for-16 shooting. Northeastern dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.555 (below their season average of 0.567) and a free throw rate of 0.125 (matching their season average). UNCW had marks of 0.343 and 0.090, respectively, for those same stats.
The Cougars will look to keep it rolling after defeating the William & Mary Tribe in their last outing, 83-73. Jarrell Brantley was a key piece for Charleston with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Charleston played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 5.5 (better than their season average of 13.1) and a free throw rate of 0.161 (matching their season average). William & Mary was 15.9 and 0.091, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Charleston ranks 316th in possessions per game (66.3) and Northeastern is 263rd (67.8).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Huskies, it’s been Pusica, who has averaged 21.2 points and 6.0 assists, while the Cougars have gotten great contributions from Grant Riller (27.2 points).
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Cougars winning both. In the most recent contest, Joe Chealey scored a game-high 23 points and the Cougars beat the Huskies 69-64. He also had six rebounds. Charleston had a better turnover percentage (11.1 vs. 15.4). Northeastern, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (26.5 vs. 22.6).
Northeastern Huskies vs. Charleston Cougars Betting Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Northeastern, ATS Winner – Northeastern, O/U – Under
- The Huskies rank 27th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while the Cougars rank 111th (33.8).
- Northeastern ranks fourth in three pointers allowed per game (15.9) while Charleston ranks 67th (20.1).
- Northeastern ranks 42nd in assists per game (15.8) while Charleston ranks 253rd (11.5).
- The Cougars rank third in steals allowed per game (3.9) while the Huskies rank 100th (6.0).
- Northeastern ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Charleston ranks 98th (3.2).
- The Cougars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.4, up from 6.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 60.6 points per game (7.7 below their season average).