The St. Bonaventure Bonnies (8-2) and the Northeastern Huskies (7-4) will try to extend their five game winning streaks when they clash at Reilly Center. St. Bonaventure is a 9-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
Northeastern Huskies vs. St. Bonaventure Bonnies Free Preview
The Huskies beat the Kent State Golden Flashes in their last contest, 81-69. With 16 points and six assists, Northeastern’s Shawn Occeus put together a solid game. Northeastern played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.435 (above their season average of 0.209) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 26.3). For those same stats, Kent State recorded marks of 0.216 and 25.9, respectively.
The last time the Bonnies played, they topped the Vermont Catamounts, 81-79. With 17 points on 5-for-10 shooting, Jaylen Adams led St. Bonaventure in scoring. St. Bonaventure’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Vermont. The Bonnies had a rate of 0.688 (above their season average of 0.495), while the Catamounts posted a mark of 0.569.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams clash. St. Bonaventure ranks 288th in possessions per game (67.7) and Northeastern is 306th (67.2). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Huskies. They rank 284th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 21.0 percent), while the Bonnies force the 24th-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 24.3 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Northeastern games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while 71.4 percent of games featuring St. Bonaventure have gone under. The Bonnies have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (8-2 vs. 7-4) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (3-4 vs. 3-4).
Vasa Pusica has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Northeastern, averaging 17.6 points, 4.0 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
Northeastern Huskies at St. Bonaventure Bonnies Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northeastern, ATS Winner – Northeastern, O/U – Over
- The Huskies rank 31st in assists allowed per game (10.9) while the Bonnies rank 81st (12.4).
- St. Bonaventure ranks 25th in steals per game (8.6) while Northeastern ranks 71st (7.1).
- Northeastern ranks 79th in three pointers attempted per game (24.1) while St. Bonaventure ranks 245th (17.3).
- The Huskies rank eighth in blocks allowed per game (1.8) while the Bonnies rank 115th (3.7).
- Northeastern ranks 16th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while St. Bonaventure ranks 109th (34.3).
- The Bonnies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, down from 10.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 79.0 points per game (7.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (1.6 below their season average).