CUSA foes will battle when the Rice Owls (4-13, 1-3 CUSA) square off with the North Texas Mean Green (9-8, 2-2 CUSA) at Tudor Fieldhouse. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
North Texas Mean Green vs. Rice Owls Free Preview
In the Mean Green’s last contest, they lost a close one to the Old Dominion Monarchs, 63-60. North Texas Ryan Woolridge contributed 13 points, six rebounds and six assists in the contest. Old Dominion had a better turnover percentage (14.2 vs. 18.4). North Texas, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (32.4 vs. 29.4).
The Owls will look to keep it rolling after topping the Charlotte 49ers in their last game, 73-64. Malik Osborne played a pivotal role for Rice with 18 points and six rebounds. Rice played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.232 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 17.0 (better than their season average of 20.6). Charlotte had marks of 0.161 and 21.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The physical Rice offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Owls currently rank 45th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.287, while North Texas is among the nations most foul-prone squads (giving up a 295th-ranked FTA rate of 0.283).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Owls won both games played against each other last season. In the last game, Rice won 95-80. The Owls dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 and a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.391. The Mean Green were 25.0 and 0.279, respectively, for those same stats.
North Texas Mean Green at Rice Owls ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – North Texas, ATS Winner – North Texas, O/U – Under
- The Owls rank 11th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Mean Green rank 106th (3.8).
- North Texas ranks 49th in three pointers allowed per game (19.8) while Rice ranks 257th (27.0).
- The Mean Green rank 25th in assists allowed per game (10.7) while the Owls rank 224th (16.8).
- North Texas averages 37.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 91st in the nation. Rice ranks 216th in rebounds allowed per game (37.7).
- The Owls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.4, down from 7.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mean Green have scored an average of 65.2 points per game (9.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (3.1 below their season average).