The Mississippi State Bulldogs (11-1) can prolong a 10-game home winning streak when they take on the North Florida Ospreys (5-8) at Humphrey Coliseum. Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
North Florida Ospreys vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs Free Preview
The last time the Ospreys played, they lost big to the LSU Tigers, 104-52. Trip Day had a solid game for North Florida, leading the team in scoring with 11 points on 4-for-9 shooting. LSU’s turnover percentage was their largest strength over North Florida. The Tigers had a rate of 8.7 (better than their season average of 15.5), while the Ospreys posted a mark of 24.5 (above their season average of 18.1).
The Bulldogs come in on a high note after defeating the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in their last game, 70-64. Mississippi State rallied around Aric Holman, who contributed 10 points and six rebounds. The Bulldogs had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.386 (above their season average of 0.208) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.531).
Mississippi State figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Bulldogs currently rank 20th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.442), while North Florida is 216th in effective field goal percentage (0.507). Ball security could be troublesome for the Ospreys. They rank 294th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 21.3 percent), while the Bulldogs force the 34th-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 23.3 percent).
Holman has been superb over the last five games for Mississippi State, averaging 13.6 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.
North Florida Ospreys vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mississippi State, ATS Winner – Mississippi State, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank sixth in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while the Ospreys rank 138th (4.3).
- Mississippi State averages 7.3 steals per game, which ranks 63rd in the nation. North Florida ranks 183rd in steals allowed per game (9.6).
- Mississippi State averages 39.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 41st in the nation. North Florida ranks 275th in rebounds allowed per game (42.4).
- The Bulldogs rank 25th in assists allowed per game (10.7) while the Ospreys rank 247th (18.3).
- North Florida ranks eighth in three pointers attempted per game (30.4) while Mississippi State ranks 206th in three pointers allowed per game (24.7).
- The Bulldogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.2, down from 14.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Ospreys have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (3.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 88.4 points per game (1.4 above their season average).