The North Dakota Fighting Hawks (6-11) look to end a six-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the North Dakota State Bison (10-8) at Scheels Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 149 points with North Dakota State opening as a 10-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
North Dakota Fighting Hawks at North Dakota State Bison Odds Preview
In the Fighting Hawks last game, they beat the Weber State Wildcats, 89-79. Geno Crandall was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 10-for-16 shooting. The Fighting Hawks had a turnover percentage of 11.4 (better than their season average of 16.7) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.640 (above their season average of 0.497).
The Bison will look to keep it rolling after thoroughly outplaying the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles in their last game, 82-64. North Dakota State was lifted by Paul Miller, who led the team in scoring with 20 points on 7-for-15 shooting. North Dakota State’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Oral Roberts. The Bison had a rate of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.558), while the Golden Eagles posted a mark of 0.365 (below their season average of 0.489).
The elite offense of North Dakota State (29th in the NCAA with an effective field goal percentage 0.562) will face off against the bottom-tier defense of North Dakota (333rd in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.560). The Bison should have the advantage on that end of the court. Conflicting styles will be on display in this meeting. The fast-breaking Fighting Hawks rank 21st in possessions per game, while the more methodical Bison rank 273rd.
Of North Dakota’s 14 games with betting action, nine have finished over the O/U total, while 7 of North Dakota State’s 13 games have finished over the projected point total. The Bison hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-8 SU and 7-6 ATS, while the Fighting Hawks are 6-11 SU and 5-9 ATS.
Miller has really been playing well over the last five games for North Dakota State, averaging 24.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 167 points, well over the projected point total of 148. The Bison won 88-79, but were unable to cover as 0-point underdogs. The Bison’s 32.1 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Fighting Hawks, who had a rate of 20.0. Miller scored a game-high 30 points.
North Dakota Fighting Hawks vs. North Dakota State Bison Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – North Dakota State, ATS Winner – North Dakota, O/U – Over
- The Fighting Hawks are 19th in the NCAA with 2.4 blocks allowed per game while the Bison are 31st with 2.6 blocks allowed per game.
- North Dakota State is 1-3 ATS at home, while North Dakota is 3-6 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Fighting Hawks 9 road games, while 2 of the Bison’s 4 home games have gone over.
- North Dakota ranks 29th in steals per game (8.1) while North Dakota State ranks 199th (4.5).
- The Bison rank 94th in rebounds allowed per game (33.9) while the Fighting Hawks rank 234th (38.3).
- North Dakota State ranks 14th in assists allowed per game (10.2) while North Dakota ranks 144th (13.8).
- North Dakota State is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, North Dakota is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bison’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.8, up from 6.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Fighting Hawks have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.4 points per game (1.5 below their season average).