A shootout should be expected when the Virginia Tech Hokies (13-6, 2-4 ACC) and the No. 15 North Carolina Tar Heels (16-4, 5-2 ACC) go head-to-head at Cassell Coliseum. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 162.5 points with North Carolina opening as a 5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
North Carolina Tar Heels at Virginia Tech Hokies Free Preview
The Tar Heels were victorious over the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in their last outing, 80-66. Luke Maye was North Carolina’s high scorer with 17 points on 7-for-13 shooting. North Carolina played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.288 (above their season average of 0.234) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 37.4). Georgia Tech was 0.050 and 18.2, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Hokies last game, they were defeated by the Florida State Seminoles, 91-82. Justin Robinson was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Florida State did an excellent job of making free throws (20-26; 76.9 percent). Virginia Tech, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.617 vs. 0.612).
This matchup figures to be a high-scoring affair as a pair of the nations best offenses go head-to-head. Virginia Tech currently ranks 19th with 117.1 points per 100 possessions and North Carolina is 40th (113.6).
Of North Carolina’s 19 games that accepted bets, 10 have finished over the projected point total, while 10 of Virginia Tech’s 14 games have finished over the O/U total. The Tar Heels have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (16-4 vs. 13-6) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (9-7-3 vs. 8-7).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Tar Heels won the only game played against each other last season, 91-72. North Carolina had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (51.4 vs. 14.3). Virginia Tech, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.216 vs. 0.068).
North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Virginia Tech Hokies Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – North Carolina, ATS Winner – North Carolina, O/U – Over
- The Tar Heels rank 59th in blocks per game (4.2) while the Hokies rank 99th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- On the road, North Carolina is 4-5-1 ATS with 7 unders and 3 overs.
- Virginia Tech is 5-3 ATS at home with 5 overs and 2 unders.
- North Carolina ranks second in rebounds per game (43.5) while Virginia Tech ranks 194th (34.6).
- The Hokies average 17.5 assists per game, which ranks 19th in the nation. The Tar Heels rank 185th in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- Virginia Tech averages 22.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 129th in the nation. North Carolina ranks 265th in three pointers allowed per game (26.7).
- Virginia Tech is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, North Carolina is 1-2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hokies have been outscored by an average of 4.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Virginia Tech has defeated opponents by an average of 12.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Tar Heels have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (6.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (3.3 below their season average).