A shootout should be expected when the No. 24 Florida State Seminoles (9-2, 0-1 ACC) and the No. 12 North Carolina Tar Heels (12-2, 1-0 ACC) go head-to-head at Donald L. Tucker Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 162.5 points with Florida State opening as a 1.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Florida State Seminoles Betting Preview
The Tar Heels defeated the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in their last game, 73-69. Luke Maye was the games high scorer with 17 points on 7-for-18 shooting. The Tar Heels held the Demon Deacons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.3 (below their season average of 33.9). The Demon Deacons had a free throw rate of 0.127 (below their season average of 0.316).
The last time the Seminoles played, they were topped by the No. 4 Duke Blue Devils, 100-93. With 23 points and eight rebounds, Braian Angola-Rodas put together a solid game for Florida State. Duke held the Seminoles to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.1 (below their season average of 36.4). Florida State, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the free throw line (16-22; 72.7 percent).
This meeting figures to be a high-scoring affair as a pair of the nations premier offenses go head-to-head. Florida State ranks 27th with 117.1 points per 100 possessions and North Carolina is 60th (113.1). Also, the Tar Heels could control the offensive glass in this contest as they rank 33rd in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage at 35.7 percent. The Seminoles, meanwhile, rank 315th at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 66.2 percent.
Of North Carolina’s 13 games that accepted bets, seven have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Florida State’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have excellent straight up (SU) records (12-2 for North Carolina; 9-2 for Florida State), but the Seminoles have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Florida State is 8-2-1 ATS, while the Tar Heels are 8-5.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Tar Heels won the sole contest last season, 96-83. The Tar Heels dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 45.7 and a fantastic free throw rate of 0.356. The Seminoles were 20.5 and 0.179, respectively, for those same stats.
North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Florida State Seminoles Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Florida State, ATS Winner – Florida State, O/U – Over
- The Seminoles rank seventh in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while the Tar Heels rank 152nd (4.9).
- Florida State ranks 40th in steals per game (7.8) while North Carolina ranks 182nd (4.8).
- North Carolina is 4-3 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Florida State is 3-1 ATS at home with 3 overs and 1 under.
- Florida State ranks 74th in three pointers attempted per game (24.6) while North Carolina ranks 259th in three pointers allowed per game (26.9).
- The Tar Heels rank fifth in rebounds per game (44.1) while the Seminoles rank 177th in rebounds allowed per game (36.5).
- Florida State averages 17.8 assists per game, which ranks 21st in the NCAA. North Carolina ranks 182nd in assists allowed per game (14.9).
- Florida State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, North Carolina is 3-2 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Seminoles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.0, down from 17.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tar Heels have scored an average of 83.2 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (0.9 below their season average).