The Hampton Pirates (19-14, 14-4 MEAC) and the North Carolina Central Eagles (18-15, 12-7 MEAC) clash in the Mid-Eastern Conference Tourney at Norfolk Scope Arena. Action gets underway at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
North Carolina Central Eagles vs. Hampton Pirates Free Preview
The last time the Eagles played, they beat the Morgan State Bears, 79-70. Raasean Davis led North Carolina Central in scoring with 22 points on 10-for-13 shooting. The Eagles, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.516, had a ridiculous mark of 0.644 and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 33.4).
The Pirates will look to keep it rolling after defeating the North Carolina A&T Aggies in their last contest, 96-86. Hampton received a boost from Malique Trent-Street, who was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Hampton dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.1 (better than their season average of 15.3) and a free throw rate of 0.422 (above their season average of 0.268). North Carolina A&T put up marks of 18.2 and 0.387, respectively, for those same stats.
Opposite tempos will be on display in this contest. Hampton prefers an up-and-down style of play (16th in possessions per game), while North Carolina Central is more half-court-oriented (210th in possessions per game).
Trent-Street has really been playing well over the last five games for Hampton, averaging 17.0 points, 3.8 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Pirates won 86-70. Hampton had a better turnover percentage (9.0 vs. 13.3). North Carolina Central, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (29.3 vs. 23.5). Jermaine Marrow scored a game-high 25 points.
North Carolina Central Eagles vs. Hampton Pirates ATS Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Over
- The Eagles average 3.4 blocks per game, which ranks 120th in the NCAA. The Pirates rank 139th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- North Carolina Central ranks 253rd in three pointers attempted per game (18.5) while Hampton ranks 266th (17.9).
- North Carolina Central averages 38.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 49th in the nation. Hampton ranks 252nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.9).
- The Pirates rank 60th in assists per game (15.3) while the Eagles rank 141st in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- North Carolina Central ranks 29th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Hampton ranks 79th (5.7).
- The Pirates average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 4.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (4.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (6.0 below their season average).