The Old Dominion Monarchs (8-3) and the Norfolk State Spartans (1-11) square off at Norfolk Scope Arena. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Norfolk State Spartans vs. Old Dominion Monarchs Odds Preview
The Spartans lost to the Eastern Kentucky Colonels in their last contest, 83-66. Norfolk State’s Steven Whitley finished with 10 points, six assists and five rebounds in the contest. Eastern Kentucky’s offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over Norfolk State. The Colonels had a rate of 30.8 (below their season average of 31.2), while the Spartans posted a mark of 16.7 (below their season average of 32.7).
The last time the Monarchs played, they beat the Fairfield Stags, 82-77. Old Dominion was lifted by Ahmad Caver, who was the games high scorer with 30 points on 10-for-25 shooting. The Monarchs had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 41.2 (above their season average of 31.7), while the Stags had a turnover percentage of 20.3 (above their season average of 16.8).
Old Dominion could have their way on the defensive side of the ball as they go head-to-head against one of the worst offenses in the NCAA. The Monarchs currently rank 52nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.463), while Norfolk State is 307th in effective field goal percentage (0.471).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Spartans, it’s been Whitley, who has averaged 11.6 points, 6.6 assists, 6.4 rebounds and 3.0 steals, while the Monarchs have gotten solid contributions from B.J. Stith (16.8 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.4 steals).
Norfolk State Spartans vs. Old Dominion Monarchs Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank 152nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.0) while the Monarchs rank 193rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.9).
- Old Dominion is 21st in the nation with 4.8 steals allowed per game while Norfolk State is 31st with 5.1 steals allowed per game.
- Old Dominion averages 16.0 assists per game, which ranks 56th in the NCAA. Norfolk State ranks 212th in assists allowed per game (16.3).
- The Monarchs rank 47th in rebounds per game (39.5) while the Spartans rank 182nd (34.6).
- Old Dominion ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Norfolk State ranks 137th (4.2).
- The Monarchs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 19.6, up from 11.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 77.8 points per game (7.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (3.5 below their season average).