The Norfolk State Spartans (12-17, 10-4 MEAC) will travel to Burr Arena to challenge the Howard Bison (9-21, 6-8 MEAC) in their home finale. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 26, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Norfolk State Spartans vs. Howard Bison Odds Preview
The Spartans beat the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks in their last outing, 74-63. With 14 points, eight rebounds and seven assists, Norfolk State’s Steven Whitley had a good performance. The Spartans, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.9, had a phenomenal mark of 42.5 and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.485 vs. 0.455).
In the Bison’s last matchup, they blew out the Delaware State Hornets, 93-74. With 25 points on 6-for-16 shooting, RJ Cole was the game’s high scorer. Howard played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.577 (above their season average of 0.236) and a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 16.4). Delaware State was 0.132 and 23.9, respectively, for those same stats.
It could be a sloppy game for the Howard offense. Howard ranks 182nd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 18.7 percent), while the pesky defense of Norfolk State forces the 56th-most turnovers in the nation (21.2 percent). Additionally, the Spartans could control the offensive glass in this matchup as they rank 56th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 33.2 percent. The Bison, meanwhile, rank 346th in defensive rebounding percentage (64.4 percent).
Whitley has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Norfolk State, averaging 12.6 points, 6.4 assists and 6.0 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Spartans won both contests last season. In the most recent matchup, Norfolk State won 68-53. The Spartans played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.293 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 42.5. For those same stats, the Bison were 0.131 and 25.5, respectively.
Norfolk State Spartans vs. Howard Bison Free Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Over
- The Spartans rank 49th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Bison rank 62nd (5.5).
- Norfolk State ranks 51st in rebounds per game (38.2) while Howard ranks 289th in rebounds allowed per game (39.9).
- The Bison rank 114th in three pointers attempted per game (22.9) while the Spartans rank 263rd in three pointers allowed per game (25.4).
- Norfolk State averages 13.6 assists per game, which ranks 145th in the nation. Howard ranks 250th in assists allowed per game (15.7).
- The Bison have outscored opponents by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Howard has been defeated by an average of 6.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (5.1 below their season average).