MEAC foes will clash when the Hampton Pirates (11-14, 6-4 MEAC) clash against the Norfolk State Spartans (8-16, 6-3 MEAC) at Hampton Convocation Center. Action begins at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Norfolk State Spartans vs. Hampton Pirates Betting Preview
In the Spartans’ last contest, they beat the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats, 83-79. Preston Bungei was Norfolk State’s leading scorer with 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting. The Spartans forced 16 turnovers and held the Wildcats to an effective field goal percentage of 0.431 (below their season average of 0.491).
The Pirates come in on a high note after topping the Howard Bison in their last matchup, 95-81. Hampton received a boost from Jermaine Marrow, who was the team’s high scorer with 19 points on 6-for-16 shooting. Hampton played a flawless game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.617 (above their season average of 0.488) and a free throw rate of 0.350 (above their season average of 0.254). For those same stats, Howard was 0.484 and 0.297, respectively.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Hampton should have a significant edge. The Pirates defense ranks 82nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.485), while the Norfolk State offense is ranked 268th in effective field goal percentage (0.493).
Marrow has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Hampton, averaging 23.8 points, 7.0 rebounds, 7.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Pirates won the most recent matchup 63-59. The Pirates played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.188 and a turnover percentage of 15.5. For those same stats, the Spartans recorded marks of 0.167 and 17.0, respectively.
Norfolk State Spartans at Hampton Pirates Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Over
- The Spartans rank 84th in blocks per game (3.8) while the Pirates rank 142nd in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Norfolk State ranks 47th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Hampton ranks 65th (5.6).
- Norfolk State averages 37.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 78th in the nation. Hampton ranks 257th in rebounds allowed per game (38.3).
- The Pirates rank 83rd in assists per game (14.9) while the Spartans rank 198th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- Norfolk State ranks 173rd in three pointers attempted per game (21.5) while Hampton ranks 267th (18.0).
- The Pirates average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 2.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 81.8 points per game (9.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.8 points per game (3.3 above their season average).