MEAC foes will battle when the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (12-11, 6-2 MEAC) go head-to-head against the Norfolk State Spartans (7-16, 5-3 MEAC) at Moore Gym. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018.
Norfolk State Spartans at Bethune-Cookman Wildcats Free Preview
The Spartans defeated the Morgan State Bears in their last game, 76-65. With 20 points, seven assists and six rebounds, Steven Whitley put together a solid game for Norfolk State. Norfolk State’s 0.612 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Morgan State, who had a mark of 0.344. The Spartans mark was above their season average of 0.489, while the Bears was below their season average of 0.443.
In the Wildcats last game, they blew out the Coppin State Eagles, 80-60. With 22 points on 9-for-13 shooting, Shawntrez Davis was the top scorer from either team. The Wildcats had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 43.8 (above their season average of 34.2) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.603 (above their season average of 0.486).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Bethune-Cookman. Bethune-Cookman ranks 299th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.1 percent), while the disruptive defense of Norfolk State forces the 58th-most turnovers in the nation (21.5 percent).
Isaiah Bailey has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Bethune-Cookman, averaging 16.6 points and 5.4 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Spartans won 71-70. Norfolk State had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (39.6 vs. 33.3). Bethune-Cookman, meanwhile, had a much better free throw rate (0.349 vs. 0.219). Alex Long put up a double-double in the victory with 14 points and 17 rebounds.
Norfolk State Spartans vs. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats ATS Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Under
- The Spartans average 3.8 blocks per game, which ranks 80th in the NCAA. The Wildcats rank 142nd in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Norfolk State averages 6.0 steals per game, which ranks 134th in the nation. Bethune-Cookman ranks 135th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- Bethune-Cookman ranks 72nd in three pointers attempted per game (24.0) while Norfolk State ranks 245th in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- The Wildcats rank fifth in rebounds per game (41.6) while the Spartans rank 169th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- Bethune-Cookman ranks 92nd in assists per game (14.8) while Norfolk State ranks 191st in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- The Wildcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 80.8 points per game (9.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (1.5 below their season average).