The NJIT Highlanders (6-12, 3-2 Asun) will be at the Edmunds Center to meet the Stetson Hatters (9-11, 3-2 Asun) in an Asun matchup. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 23, 2020.
NJIT Highlanders vs. Stetson Hatters ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Hatters defeated the Jacksonville Dolphins 64-59, while the Highlanders won big over the Kennesaw State Owls 66-48.
NJIT dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.454) and a turnover percentage of 13.4 (better than their season average of 14.9). Kennesaw State had marks of 0.336 and 17.6, respectively, for those same stats. The Hatters, on the other hand, had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 (above their season average of 31.4), while the Dolphins had a turnover percentage of 18.8 (above the 15.6 mark opponents have averaged against Stetson this season). Stetson was lifted by Mahamadou Diawara, who recorded 11 points and nine rebounds. Meanwhile, Zach Cooks had a good outing for NJIT, contributing 19 points and six rebounds.
The Highlanders dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the last contest, NJIT won 82-77. Getting to the charity stripe was one of NJIT’s largest strengths. They had 26 free throw attempts, while Stetson had just 11. This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the nation’s slowest-paced teams clash. Stetson currently ranks 341st in possessions per game (65.0) and NJIT is 287th (67.3). The Highlanders should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 45th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.0 percent). Conversely, the Hatters force the 85th-fewest turnovers in the country (opponents’ turnover percentage of 18.3 percent).
NJIT Highlanders at Stetson Hatters Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Stetson, ATS Winner – Stetson, O/U – Under
- NJIT ranks 124th in three pointers allowed per game (21.3) while Stetson ranks 268th (27.3).
- The Highlanders rank 206th in assists per game (11.3) while the Hatters rank 232nd (10.2).
- The Hatters rank 147th in rebounds per game (36.0) while the Highlanders rank 183rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.2).
- NJIT ranks 36th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Stetson ranks 63rd (5.8).
- The Hatters have outscored opponents by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Stetson has been defeated by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Highlanders have scored an average of 61.8 points per game (2.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.8 points per game (8.1 below their season average).