The NJIT Highlanders (9-11, 2-3 Asun) will attempt to end an eight-game road losing streak when they square off against the Kennesaw State Owls (5-15, 1-4 Asun) at KSU Convocation Center. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
NJIT Highlanders at Kennesaw State Owls Odds Preview
The Highlanders lost a close one to the Jacksonville Dolphins in their last outing, 63-61. Abdul Lewis had a solid game for NJIT, leading both teams in scoring with 16 points on 6-for-9 shooting. Jacksonville forced the Highlanders into a turnover percentage of 22.1 (above their season average of 16.2). NJIT, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (13-18; 72.2 percent).
In the Owls last matchup, they were topped by the FGCU Eagles, 66-49. With 11 points, Nick Masterson had a good performance for Kennesaw State. FGCU held the Owls to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.1 (below their season average of 29.1). Kennesaw State, meanwhile, forced the Eagles into a turnover percentage of 21.5 (above their season average of 17.7).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Kennesaw State. Kennesaw State ranks 252nd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.1 percent), while the gambling defense of NJIT forces the 82nd-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.1 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Owls won both games played against each other last season. In the last contest, Kennesaw State won 54-53. Kennesaw State had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 24.0). NJIT, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.244 vs. 0.086).
NJIT Highlanders vs. Kennesaw State Owls Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kennesaw State, ATS Winner – Kennesaw State, O/U – Under
- The Highlanders average 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 23rd in the NCAA. The Owls rank 97th in steals allowed per game (6.2).
- Kennesaw State averages 3.1 blocks per game, which ranks 125th in the NCAA. NJIT ranks 154th in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- NJIT ranks 133rd in three pointers attempted per game (22.1) while Kennesaw State ranks 280th (15.6).
- The Highlanders rank 117th in rebounds per game (36.5) while the Owls rank 243rd (33.0).
- NJIT ranks 108th in assists per game (14.3) while Kennesaw State ranks 198th in assists allowed per game (15.1).
- The Owls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.4, down from 7.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Highlanders have scored an average of 74.2 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.4 points per game (0.7 below their season average).