The NJIT Highlanders (8-9, 1-1 Asun) can snap a seven-game road losing streak when they challenge the FGCU Eagles (11-8, 2-0 Asun) at Alico Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
NJIT Highlanders at FGCU Eagles Betting Preview
In the Highlanders last matchup, they were beaten by the Stetson Hatters, 80-67. With 23 points on 9-for-20 shooting, Anthony Tarke was the top scorer from either team. Stetson had an effective field goal percentage of 0.632 (above their season average of 0.500). NJIT, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.155 vs. 0.140).
The Eagles come in on a high note after defeating the USC Upstate Spartans in their last game, 75-58. FGCU received a boost from Zach Johnson, who was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 8-for-11 shooting. FGCU dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 (above their season average of 33.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.538 (below their season average of 0.546). For those same stats, USC Upstate was 23.9 and 0.394, respectively.
FGCU figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Eagles currently rank 78th in offensive efficiency, while the Highlanders rank 183rd in defensive efficiency.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Eagles won both matchups last season. In the last matchup, FGCU won 80-73. The Eagles dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.3 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.618. For those same stats, the Highlanders were 15.8 and 0.585, respectively.
NJIT Highlanders vs. FGCU Eagles Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – FGCU, ATS Winner – FGCU, O/U – Under
- The Highlanders rank 116th in three pointers attempted per game (22.8) while the Eagles rank 128th in three pointers allowed per game (22.0).
- FGCU ranks 54th in rebounds per game (38.7) while NJIT ranks 144th in rebounds allowed per game (35.5).
- The Eagles rank 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while the Highlanders rank 133rd (4.4).
- NJIT ranks 27th in steals per game (8.2) while FGCU ranks 112th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- The Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.4, up from 9.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Highlanders have scored an average of 82.8 points per game (6.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.2 points per game (1.6 above their season average).