The Rutgers Scarlet Knights (6-3) will be at home in Louis Brown Athletic Center when they go head-to-head against the NJIT Highlanders (0-2). Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 7, 2017.
NJIT Highlanders vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights Free Preview
The last time the Highlanders played, they lost big to the No. 19 West Virginia Mountaineers, 102-69. With 13 points on 6-for-15 shooting, Anthony Tarke led NJIT in scoring. West Virginia had a much better turnover percentage (12.8 vs. 22.1). NJIT, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (17-23; 73.9 percent).
The Scarlet Knights are hoping for a better outcome after their 62-52 loss to the No. 3 Michigan State Spartans in their last outing. Deshawn Freeman led Rutgers in scoring with 13 points on 3-for-10 shooting. Michigan State held the Scarlet Knights to an effective field goal percentage of 0.288 (below their season average of 0.449). Rutgers, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (11.9 vs. 19.0).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Rutgers figures to have a considerable advantage. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, the Scarlet Knights defense ranks fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.463), while the NJIT offense ranks 266th in effective field goal percentage (0.490). Ball security could be troublesome for the Highlanders. They rank 262nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 20.2 percent), while the Scarlet Knights have forced the 21st-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 20.0 percent).
NJIT Highlanders at Rutgers Scarlet Knights Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – NJIT, ATS Winner – NJIT, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Scarlet Knights rank second in rebounds per game (41.3) while the Highlanders rank 146th (36.3).
- Rutgers averages 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 64th in the NCAA. NJIT ranks 165th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- NJIT ranks 50th in three pointers attempted per game (24.8) while Rutgers ranks 290th (15.7).
- The Scarlet Knights rank 11th in blocks per game (4.9) while the Highlanders rank 206th (2.8).
- Rutgers ranks 34th in assists allowed per game (13.0) while NJIT ranks 226th (14.4).