The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (11-3, 0-1 SthLnd) look to prolong their eight-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the Nicholls Colonels (8-7, 2-0 SthLnd), who will attempt to end their five-game road losing streak. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Nicholls Colonels at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Betting Preview
The Colonels defeated the Incarnate Word Cardinals in their last outing, 77-60. With 15 points and 12 rebounds, Nicholls Kimani Jackson played well. Nicholls played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 46.9 (above their season average of 28.8) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.585 (above their season average of 0.543). For those same stats, Incarnate Word was 34.3 and 0.443, respectively.
In the Lumberjacks last game, they were topped by the Southeastern Louisiana Lions, 73-62. TJ Holyfield led Stephen F. Austin in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Southeastern Louisiana did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (26-37; 70.3 percent). Stephen F. Austin, meanwhile, forced the Lions into a turnover percentage of 28.1 (above their season average of 18.3).
There should be plenty of transition action in this battle that features a pair of the nations more fast-paced teams. Stephen F. Austin ranks 41st in possessions per game (74.4) and Nicholls is third (80.5).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Lumberjacks won the only game last season, 80-60. Stephen F. Austin launched 18 three pointers, making nine of them (50.0 percent). Nicholls was, meanwhile, 5-19 (26.3 percent).
Nicholls Colonels at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nicholls, ATS Winner – Nicholls, O/U – Over
- The Colonels rank 45th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Lumberjacks rank 161st (2.4).
- Nicholls ranks 32nd in assists per game (17.3) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 120th (14.2).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 12th in rebounds allowed per game (30.1) while Nicholls ranks 220th (38.5).
- The Colonels rank 36th in three pointers attempted per game (26.5) while the Lumberjacks rank 241st (18.1).
- Nicholls ranks third in steals per game (11.0) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 160th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- The Lumberjacks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.6, down from 13.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Colonels have scored an average of 83.6 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.8 points per game (13.3 below their season average).