The Nicholls Colonels (18-9, 12-2 SthLnd) visit Burton Coliseum to take on the McNeese State Cowboys (10-15, 6-8 SthLnd). The Colonels will try to continue their five-game winning streak. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018.
Nicholls Colonels at McNeese State Cowboys Free Preview
The Colonels beat the Central Arkansas Bears in their last matchup, 87-83. Roddy Peters led Nicholls in scoring with 30 points on 8-for-19 shooting. The Colonels held the Bears to an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.3 (below the 29.8 mark opponents have averaged against Nicholls this season) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.516 vs. 0.482).
The last time the Cowboys played, they were defeated by the New Orleans Privateers, 90-74. With 13 points and 16 rebounds, McNeese State’s Quatarrius Wilson played well. New Orleans had a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 19.2). McNeese State, on the other hand, held the Privateers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (below their season average of 34.5).
There should be a fair amount of transition offense in this contest that showcases two of the nation’s more fast-breaking teams. McNeese State ranks 39th in possessions per game (73.1) and Nicholls is ninth (76.6).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Colonels, it’s been Peters, who has averaged 20.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.8 steals, while the Cowboys have received great contributions from Wilson (13.4 rebounds and 12.8 points).
These teams have already met once this season. The Colonels won 85-80. Nicholls won the rebounding battle. The Colonels had 12 offensive rebounds and 38 total rebounds, while the Cowboys had five and 23, respectively. Peters scored a game-high 26 points.
Nicholls Colonels at McNeese State Cowboys Odds Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Nicholls, ATS Winner – Nicholls, O/U – Over
- The Cowboys average 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 31st in the NCAA. The Colonels rank 100th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Nicholls averages 23.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 109th in the NCAA. McNeese State ranks 127th in three pointers allowed per game (21.3).
- Nicholls ranks fifth in steals per game (9.6) while McNeese State ranks 206th (5.0).
- The Colonels rank 74th in rebounds per game (37.5) while the Cowboys rank 271st in rebounds allowed per game (38.5).
- Nicholls ranks 66th in assists per game (15.3) while McNeese State ranks 257th (11.2).
- The Cowboys’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 0.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Colonels have scored an average of 80.8 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (5.8 below their season average).