SthLnd foes will clash when the Lamar Cardinals (12-8, 4-3 SthLnd) clash with the Nicholls Colonels (12-8, 6-1 SthLnd) at Montagne Center. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Nicholls Colonels vs. Lamar Cardinals Betting Preview
The Colonels easily got past the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders in their last contest, 91-61. Tevon Saddler was the games high scorer with 23 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Nicholls dominated every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.542) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.0 (above their season average of 30.7). For those same stats, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi had marks of 0.387 and 30.8, respectively.
In the Cardinals last matchup, they defeated the Sam Houston State Bearkats, 84-77. Lamar rallied around Josh Nzeakor, who recorded 16 points and 11 rebounds. Lamar played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.9 (better than their season average of 16.1) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.0 (above their season average of 33.7). For those same stats, Sam Houston State had marks of 26.0 and 25.0, respectively.
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Lamar. Lamar ranks 182nd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.0 percent), while the disruptive defense of Nicholls forces the 21st-most turnovers in the nation (23.5 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Cardinals won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Lamar won 87-75. The Cardinals dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.297 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 43.6. The Colonels put up marks of 0.203 and 32.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Nicholls Colonels at Lamar Cardinals Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lamar, ATS Winner – Lamar, O/U – Under
- The Colonels rank 41st in assists per game (16.3) while the Cardinals rank 115th (14.2).
- Nicholls ranks 69th in three pointers attempted per game (24.6) while Lamar ranks 73rd in three pointers allowed per game (20.2).
- Lamar averages 38.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 56th in the NCAA. Nicholls ranks 203rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.7).
- The Cardinals rank 10th in steals per game (8.9) while the Colonels rank 147th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Nicholls ranks 50th in blocks per game (4.3) while Lamar ranks 178th (2.4).
- The Cardinals average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 8.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Colonels have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (6.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (3.5 below their season average).