MAAC foes will clash when the Marist Red Foxes (3-11, 1-1 MAAC) square off with the Niagara Purple Eagles (8-8, 1-2 MAAC) at McCann Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 158 points with Niagara set as a 3.5-point favorite. Action starts at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Niagara Purple Eagles at Marist Red Foxes Betting Preview
In the Purple Eagles last outing, they were victorious over the Siena Saints, 84-76. Marvin Prochet was Niagara’s high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-14 shooting. The Purple Eagles had a much better free throw rate (0.270 vs. 0.085) and held the Saints to an effective field goal percentage of 0.493 (below the 0.554 mark opponents have averaged against Niagara this season).
The Red Foxes are hoping for a better outcome after their 101-96 loss to the Manhattan Jaspers in their last game. Brian Parker was the games leading scorer with 33 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Manhattan had a turnover percentage of 12.2 (better than their season average of 22.3). Marist, on the other hand, was lights out from beyond the arc (17-37; 45.9 percent).
The upper-echelon offense of Marist (84th in the nation with an effective field goal percentage 0.539) will battle against the mid-tier defense of Niagara (320th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.550). The Red Foxes figure to have the advantage on that end of the court. Also, the Purple Eagles rank 11th in turnover percentage (14.7 percent), while the Red Foxes rank 341st in opponents turnover percentage (15.5 percent).
Both of these teams have typically finished over the O/U total. Games featuring Niagara have finished over 91.7 percent of the time, while 62.5 percent of Marist games have finished over. The Purple Eagles come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-8 SU and 6-6 ATS, while the Red Foxes are 3-11 SU and 3-5 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Purple Eagles, it’s been Prochet, who has averaged 15.6 points and 9.6 rebounds, while the Red Foxes have gotten great contributions from Parker (19.4 points and 5.2 rebounds).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Red Foxes won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Marist won 93-87. Getting to the free throw line was one of Marist’s largest strengths. They had 29 free throw attempts, while Niagara had just 13.
Niagara Purple Eagles at Marist Red Foxes Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Niagara, ATS Winner – Niagara, O/U – Over
- The Red Foxes rank 21st in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Purple Eagles rank 127th (4.0).
- Niagara ranks 195th in assists per game (12.4) while Marist ranks 227th in assists allowed per game (16.6).
- Marist is 1-1 ATS at home, while Niagara is 4-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 1 of the Red Foxes 2 home games, while 6 of the Purple Eagles 6 road games have gone over.
- Niagara ranks eighth in steals allowed per game (4.5) while Marist ranks 167th (7.6).
- The Purple Eagles rank 82nd in rebounds per game (37.9) while the Red Foxes rank 235th (33.0).
- Niagara averages 24.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 76th in the NCAA. Marist ranks 225th in three pointers allowed per game (25.1).
- Marist is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Niagara is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Red Foxes average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 9.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Purple Eagles have scored an average of 84.2 points per game (0.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 87.2 points per game (0.6 below their season average).