The Washington Wizards (21-16) will be at home in Capital One Arena when they go head-to-head against the New York Knicks (18-19). Washington is an 8.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 209.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks at Washington Wizards Betting Preview
The Knicks were beaten by the San Antonio Spurs in their last game, 100-91. With 18 points on 7-for-13 shooting, Michael Beasley was New York’s high scorer. San Antonio did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (28-34; 82.4 percent). New York, on the other hand, held the Spurs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.439 (below their season average of 0.512).
The last time the Wizards played, they beat the Chicago Bulls, 114-110. Washington was lifted by Bradley Beal, who was the top scorer from either team with 39 points on 16-for-29 shooting. Washington dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great turnover percentage of 9.1 (better than their season average of 12.1) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5 (above their season average of 22.6). Chicago was 11.5 and 20.9, respectively, for those same stats.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Washington should have a considerable advantage. The Wizards defense ranks eighth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.510), while the New York offense is ranked 22nd in effective field goal percentage (0.508).
Of New York’s 36 games with betting action, 19 have finished under the O/U total, while 23 of Washington’s 37 games have finished under the O/U total. The Wizards have the superior straight up (SU) record (21-16 vs. 18-19), but the Knicks hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (20-16 vs. 18-19).
Kelly Oubre Jr. has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Washington, averaging 15.4 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Wizards won all four games last season. In the most recent contest, Washington won 106-103. One of Washington’s biggest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They had 28 free throw attempts, while New York had 21.
New York Knicks vs. Washington Wizards ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Knicks rank fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Wizards rank 23rd (44.0).
- Washington ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.5) while New York ranks 29th (31.5).
- Washington ranks 14th in fast break points per game (11.1) while New York ranks 29th (6.4).
- New York is 5-10 ATS on the road, while Washington is 7-11 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Knicks 15 road games, while 9 of the Wizards 18 home games have gone under.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, New York is 8-1 and Washington is 13-1.
- The Wizards are 18-7 when they reach 100 points, while the Knicks are 17-8.
- The Knicks rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (39.9) while the Wizards rank 16th (44.5).
- Washington ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while New York ranks 24th (8.2).
- The Knicks average 14.8 second chance points per game, which ranks second in the league. The Wizards rank 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- The Wizards average 22.7 assists per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Knicks rank 16th in assists allowed per game (22.4).
- Washington ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while New York ranks 23rd (18.4).
- Washington is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Wizards average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.6, up from 2.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 97.6 points per game (5.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.8 points per game (0.2 above their season average).