The Phoenix Suns (17-31) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they square off with the New York Knicks (21-28). Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Friday, January 26, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks vs. Phoenix Suns Free Preview
The Knicks were beaten by the Denver Nuggets in their last game, 130-118. New York’s Trey Burke had a good performance, recording 18 points and 11 assists. Denver made 14 of their 28 three pointers (50.0 percent). New York, on the other hand, held the Nuggets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 6.3 (below their season average of 26.9).
The last time the Suns played, they were topped by the Indiana Pacers, 116-101. With 16 points and 17 rebounds, Phoenix’s Greg Monroe played well. Indiana had an effective field goal percentage of 0.619 (above their season average of 0.531). Phoenix, on the other hand, held the Pacers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 8.6 (below their season average of 21.8).
It will be a showdown of conflicting styles as the fast-breaking Suns (ranked fourth in the NBA in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Knicks (16th in possessions per game).
Of New York’s 48 games with betting action, 26 have finished over the projected point total, while 24 of Phoenix’s 48 games have finished under the O/U total. The Knicks have the better straight up (SU) record (21-28 vs. 17-31) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (25-23 vs. 23-23-2).
Michael Beasley has been playing at a high level over the last five games for New York, averaging 17.8 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 227 points, which was over the projected point total of 221.5. The Knicks won 120-107, covering as 5-point favorites. New York had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.563 vs. 0.397). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (8.1 vs. 10.9). Kristaps Porzingis scored a game-high 37 points.
New York Knicks at Phoenix Suns Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Knicks rank fourth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Suns rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- New York ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (8.3) while Phoenix ranks 28th (8.9).
- New York averages 13.7 second chance points per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.3).
- New York ranks 10th in assists per game (23.2) while Phoenix ranks 12th in assists allowed per game (22.4).
- New York is 10-14 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 9-14-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 14 of the Knicks 24 road games, while 13 of the Suns 24 home games have gone under.
- Phoenix is 5-2 when they allow under 100 points, while New York is 9-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Knicks are 20-16 and the Suns are 13-19.
- The Suns rank 11th in three pointers allowed per game (27.8) while the Knicks rank 26th (31.0).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in fast break points per game (14.1) while New York ranks 29th (7.2).
- The Knicks rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.9) while the Suns rank 28th (47.6).
- The Knicks rank 23rd in points off turnovers per game (15.4) while the Suns rank 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.1).
- New York ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.6) while Phoenix ranks 25th (44.7).
- Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 6.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 110.6 points per game (5.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 120.0 points per game (13.4 above their season average).