The New Orleans Pelicans (18-17) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they challenge the New York Knicks (17-18). New Orleans is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 215 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks at New Orleans Pelicans Free Preview
The last time the Knicks played, they fell to the San Antonio Spurs, 119-107. With 23 points on 9-for-13 shooting, Michael Beasley was New York’s high scorer. San Antonio did a great job of making free throws (28-39; 71.8 percent). New York, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (26.7 vs. 23.8).
The Pelicans are trying to rebound after their 128-120 loss to the Dallas Mavericks in their last contest. With 32 points, 20 rebounds and eight assists, New Orleans DeMarcus Cousins had a solid performance. Dallas held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 9.5 (below their season average of 20.3). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (28-32; 87.5 percent).
It will be a showdown of conflicting tempos as the fast-paced Pelicans will look to push the more methodical Knicks. The Pelicans rank fifth in possessions per game while the Knicks are 19th. ,
Of New York’s 35 games, 18 have finished under the projected point total, while 21 of New Orleans 34 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (17-18 for New York; 18-17 for New Orleans), but the Pelicans hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 20-14 ATS, while the Knicks are 19-16.
Enes Kanter has taken his game to another level over the last five games for New York, averaging 16.4 points and 12.4 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Pelicans won both meetings last season. In the last game, New Orleans won 110-96. The Pelicans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 8.0 and a free throw rate of 0.190. The Knicks were 13.2 and 0.153, respectively, for those same stats.
New York Knicks vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.7) while the Knicks rank 29th (21.7).
- New Orleans averages 16.7 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. New York ranks 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.7).
- New York ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (40.8) while New Orleans ranks 17th (43.3).
- New Orleans averages 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the league. New York ranks 17th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- New York is 4-10 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 9-7 ATS at home.
- The Knicks have 7 unders, 6 overs and 1 push in 14 road games.
- The Pelicans have 11 overs and 5 unders in 16 home games.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, New York is 8-1 and New Orleans is 6-0.
- The Pelicans are 16-12 when they score more than 100 points, while the Knicks are 16-8.
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.8) while the Knicks rank 16th in assists allowed per game (22.5).
- New York averages 14.8 second chance points per game, which ranks second in the league. New Orleans ranks 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.3).
- The Knicks rank first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.7) while the Pelicans rank 20th (45.2).
- The Pelicans rank 18th in steals per game (7.5) while the Knicks rank 25th in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- New Orleans ranks 10th in fast break points per game (13.2) while New York ranks 29th (6.3).
- New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pelicans have outscored opponents by an average of 5.2 points in their last five games. On the season, New Orleans has scored an equal number of points as their opponents.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 99.0 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.6 points per game (1.1 below their season average).