The Dallas Mavericks (13-27) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they go head-to-head with the New York Knicks (18-21). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 207 points with Dallas opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks at Dallas Mavericks ATS Preview
The last time the Knicks played, they fell to the Miami Heat, 107-103. Michael Beasley put together a good performance for New York, recording 20 points and 10 rebounds. Miami had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6 (above their season average of 19.5). New York, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (20-23; 87.0 percent).
The Mavericks are trying to rebound after their 127-124 loss to the Chicago Bulls in their last matchup. With 23 points and seven rebounds, Harrison Barnes put together a solid game for Dallas. Chicago did a great job of making free throws (25-31; 80.6 percent). Dallas, on the other hand, forced the Bulls into a turnover percentage of 16.4 (above their season average of 11.8).
Dallas should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Dallas ranks third in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.8 percent), while New York forces the eighth-fewest turnovers (13.7 percent). Moreover, the Knicks rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (25.6 percent), while the Mavericks rank fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.7 percent).
Of New York’s 39 games, 20 have finished under the projected point total, while 20 of Dallas 40 games have finished under the projected point total. The Knicks have the superior straight up (SU) record (18-21 vs. 13-27) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (21-18 vs. 20-20).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Knicks, it’s been Beasley, who has averaged 16.4 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals, while the Mavericks have received great contributions from Dirk Nowitzki (14.2 points and 7.6 rebounds).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Mavericks won 103-95. The Mavericks played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.0 and a free throw rate of 0.229. The Knicks were 15.6 and 0.109, respectively, for those same stats.
New York Knicks vs. Dallas Mavericks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Knicks rank fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while the Mavericks rank 25th (44.8).
- New York ranks 10th in blocks per game (4.9) while Dallas ranks 26th (3.8).
- Dallas ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while New York ranks 23rd (18.2).
- On the road, New York is 6-11 ATS with 8 overs, 8 unders and 1 push.
- Dallas is 10-11 ATS at home with 10 overs, 10 unders and 1 push.
- Dallas is 10-8 when they allow less than 100 points, while New York is 8-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Knicks are 17-10 and the Mavericks are 8-12.
- The Knicks rank 10th in fast break points allowed per game (10.4) while the Mavericks rank 29th (14.8).
- New York ranks second in second chance points per game (14.8) while Dallas ranks last (9.6).
- The Mavericks rank fourth in three pointers attempted per game (32.1) while the Knicks rank last (21.4).
- The Knicks rank 22nd in steals per game (7.1) while the Mavericks rank 26th (6.7).
- New York ranks eighth in points in the paint per game (46.8) while Dallas ranks last (39.0).
- Dallas is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Mavericks have outscored opponents by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Dallas has lost by an average of 2.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.0 points per game (5.9 above their season average).