The New York Knicks (14-13) will attempt to end a six-game road losing streak when they square off against the Brooklyn Nets (11-15) at Barclays Center. Brooklyn opened as a 1.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 213 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 14, 2017, and it can be seen on YES Network.
New York Knicks vs. Brooklyn Nets Odds Preview
In the Knicks last outing, they beat the Los Angeles Lakers, 113-109. Kristaps Porzingis was the top scorer from either team with 37 points on 14-for-26 shooting. The Knicks forced 16 turnovers and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.520 vs. 0.475).
The Nets hope to maintain momentum after defeating the Washington Wizards in their last matchup, 103-98. Brooklyn rallied around Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who recorded 16 points and 12 rebounds. The Nets knocked down 25 of their 33 free throws (75.8 percent) and held the Wizards to an effective field goal percentage of 0.421 (below their season average of 0.515).
It will be a battle of opposite styles as the fast-breaking Nets will look to push the slower-paced Knicks. The Nets currently rank second in possessions per game while the Knicks are 18th.
Of New York’s 27 games, 14 have finished under the projected point total, while 13 of Brooklyn’s 26 games have finished over the O/U total. The Knicks have the superior straight up (SU) record (14-13 vs. 11-15), but the Nets hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (17-9 vs. 15-12).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 193 points, well under the projected point total of 222.5. The Knicks won 107-86, covering as 2-point favorites. The Knicks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 38.8 and a superb turnover percentage of 9.4. For those same stats, the Nets were 12.2 and 16.0, respectively. In the victory, Porzingis led all scorers with 30 points.
New York Knicks at Brooklyn Nets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nets, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Nets rank 11th in fast break points per game (12.0) while the Knicks rank 29th (6.0).
- New York ranks 15th in blocks per game (4.6) while Brooklyn ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.5).
- New York ranks second in second chance points per game (15.0) while Brooklyn ranks 16th in second chance points allowed per game (12.3).
- Neither of these teams are great at stealing the ball. New York is 26th in the league with 6.8 steals per game while Brooklyn is 27th with 6.8 teals per game.
- New York is 2-7 ATS on the road with 5 unders, 3 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Brooklyn is 7-4 ATS with 7 overs and 4 unders.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Brooklyn and New York are both 6-0.
- The Nets are 9-13 when they reach the century mark, while the Knicks are 13-6.
- The Nets rank 17th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.2) while the Knicks rank 28th (19.5).
- New York ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (39.9) while Brooklyn ranks last (46.9).
- The Nets rank second in three pointers attempted per game (34.1) while the Knicks rank 29th (22.6).
- The Nets rank 14th in assists per game (22.7) while the Knicks rank 16th in assists allowed per game (22.6).
- New York ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (39.8) while Brooklyn ranks 21st (45.5).
- Brooklyn is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Nets have outscored opponents by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Brooklyn has been defeated by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 104.4 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 104.6 points per game (0.6 above their season average).