The Utah Jazz (18-26) will be at home in Vivint Smart Home Arena when they square off with the New York Knicks (20-25). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 204.5 points with Utah opening as a 4-point favorite. Action gets underway at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 19, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
New York Knicks vs. Utah Jazz Betting Preview
The Knicks were beaten by the Memphis Grizzlies in their last game, 105-99. Kristaps Porzingis had a solid game for New York, leading the team in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Memphis had a better turnover percentage (10.0 vs. 13.2). New York, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (22-23; 95.7 percent).
In the Jazz’s last matchup, they defeated the Sacramento Kings, 120-105. Utah received a boost from Donovan Mitchell, who was the games leading scorer with 34 points on 14-for-19 shooting. The Jazz forced 19 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.514).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of New York. New York ranks 25th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.1 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Utah forces the fourth-most turnovers in the NBA (15.7 percent).
Of New York’s 45 games, 23 have finished over the O/U total, while 23 of Utah’s 44 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Knicks are 20-25 SU and 23-22 ATS, while the Jazz are 18-26 SU and 22-22 ATS.
Mitchell has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Utah, averaging 23.2 points and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 207 points, just over the projected point total of 202. The Knicks won 106-101, covering as 4-point favorites. The Knicks played a nearly perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 and a turnover percentage of 10.7. For those same stats, the Jazz put up marks of 21.4 and 13.9, respectively. Tim Hardaway Jr. was a top performer in the victory, with 26 points, six rebounds and six assists.
New York Knicks at Utah Jazz Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Knicks rank seventh in rebounds per game (44.8) while the Jazz rank 26th (40.5).
- Utah ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.2) while New York ranks 13th (22.6).
- New York ranks third in blocks per game (5.4) while Utah ranks 14th (4.7).
- New York is second in the league with 41.1 points allowed in the paint per game while Utah is fifth with 41.8 points allowed in the paint per game.
- Utah is 13-8 ATS at home, while New York is 8-13 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the Knicks 21 road games, while 14 of the Jazz’s 21 home games have gone under.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Utah is 10-4 and New York is 9-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Knicks are 19-13 and the Jazz are 16-10.
- The Jazz rank 13th in points off turnovers per game (17.2) while the Knicks rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.2).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.3) while New York ranks 25th (7.0).
- The Knicks rank fourth in second chance points per game (14.2) while the Jazz rank 27th (10.3).
- The Jazz rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.4) while the Knicks rank 10th (10.8).
- Utah ranks ninth in three pointers attempted per game (30.3) while New York ranks last (21.6).
- Utah is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 1-4 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Jazz’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.8, up from 0.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 112.6 points per game (8.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 114.4 points per game (9.3 above their season average).