The Memphis Grizzlies (14-28) will be at home in FedExForum when they meet the New York Knicks (20-24). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 201 points with Memphis set as a 1-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
New York Knicks at Memphis Grizzlies Free Preview
The Knicks were victorious over the Brooklyn Nets in their last outing, 119-104. With 23 points and 10 rebounds, New York’s Michael Beasley played well. The Knicks had a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.567 (above their season average of 0.512) and had a turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 13.7).
In the Grizzlies last game, they topped the Los Angeles Lakers, 123-114. Memphis rallied around Tyreke Evans, who finished with 15 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds. The Grizzlies knocked down 29 of their 34 free throws (85.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.573 (above their season average of 0.501).
The aggressive Memphis offense looks poised to dominate from the foul line. The Grizzlies rank sixth in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.222, while New York is among the leagues most foul-prone squads (giving up a 21st-ranked FTA rate of 0.208). Moreover, the Knicks could control the offensive glass in this matchup as they rank fourth in the NBA in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.2 percent. The Grizzlies, meanwhile, rank 23rd at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.3 percent.
Of New York’s 44 games, 22 have finished over the O/U total, while 26 of Memphis 42 games have finished under the projected point total. The Knicks hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 20-24 SU and 23-21 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 14-28 SU and 16-24-2 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 187 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 197. The Knicks won 99-88, covering as 2-point favorites. The Knicks played a nearly perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.3 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.590. The Grizzlies had marks of 11.1 and 0.500, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Marc Gasol had a stellar game with 17 points and eight rebounds.
New York Knicks vs. Memphis Grizzlies Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies rank third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Knicks rank 22nd (8.5).
- Memphis ranks ninth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.4) while New York ranks 25th (18.3).
- New York ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.3) while Memphis ranks 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Memphis leads the league with 40.0 points allowed in the paint per game while New York is second with 41.0 points allowed in the paint per game.
- Memphis is 8-13-1 ATS at home, while New York is 8-12 ATS on the road.
- In 20 road games, the Knicks have 10 overs, 9 unders and 1 push.
- The Grizzlies have 16 unders and 6 overs in 22 home games.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, New York is 9-1 and Memphis is 9-9.
- The Grizzlies are 9-9 when they reach the century mark, while the Knicks are 19-13.
- The Grizzlies rank 10th in three pointers allowed per game (27.7) while the Knicks rank 27th (31.3).
- Memphis ranks seventh in fast break points per game (13.6) while New York ranks 29th (6.9).
- The Knicks rank seventh in rebounds per game (44.8) while the Grizzlies rank 29th (40.1).
- The Knicks rank 12th in assists per game (22.8) while the Grizzlies rank 28th (20.7).
- New York ranks third in second chance points per game (14.3) while Memphis ranks 24th (10.5).
- Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Grizzlies average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 3.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 112.8 points per game (8.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.6 points per game (7.5 above their season average).