The Los Angeles Lakers (16-29) will be at home in Staples Center when they go head-to-head against the New York Knicks (21-25). Action gets underway at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks vs. Los Angeles Lakers Free Preview
In the Knicks last game, they edged the Utah Jazz, 117-115. Tim Hardaway Jr. was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 11-for-17 shooting. The Knicks forced 17 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.556 (above their season average of 0.513).
The Lakers hope to keep it rolling after topping the Indiana Pacers in their last game, 99-86. With 33 points on 14-for-19 shooting, Jordan Clarkson was the games high scorer. Los Angeles 0.606 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Indiana, who had a mark of 0.392. The Lakers mark was above their season average of 0.504, while the Pacers was below their season average of 0.536.
This game should be a battle of conflicting styles. Los Angeles has preferred a fast-paced style of play (first in possessions per game), while New York has been more half-court-oriented (16th in possessions per game).
Of New York’s 46 games, 24 have finished over the projected point total, while 23 of Los Angeles 45 games have finished over the projected point total. The Knicks have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (21-25 vs. 16-29) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (24-22 vs. 22-23).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 222 points, which was over the projected point total of 211. The Knicks won 113-109, covering as 3-point favorites. New York had a better turnover percentage (11.7 vs. 12.8). Los Angeles, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (12-15; 80.0 percent). Kristaps Porzingis put up a double-double in the victory with 37 points and 11 rebounds.
New York Knicks at Los Angeles Lakers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Over
- The Knicks rank fourth in blocks per game (5.4) while the Lakers rank 29th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- Los Angeles ranks 18th in three pointers attempted per game (28.0) while New York ranks 29th (21.6).
- New York ranks sixth in rebounds allowed per game (42.0) while Los Angeles ranks 28th (45.6).
- Los Angeles ranks sixth in assists per game (23.6) while New York ranks 13th in assists allowed per game (22.5).
- Los Angeles is 12-12 ATS at home, while New York is 9-13 ATS on the road.
- The Knicks have 12 overs, 9 unders and 1 push in 22 road games.
- In 24 home games, the Lakers have 13 overs and 11 unders.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, New York is 9-1 and Los Angeles is 8-3.
- When reaching the century mark, the Knicks are 20-13 and the Lakers are 13-16.
- The Lakers rank sixth in steals per game (8.5) while the Knicks rank 25th (6.9).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (17.0) while New York ranks 29th (7.0).
- The Knicks rank third in points allowed in the paint per game (41.2) while the Lakers rank 29th (49.4).
- The Lakers rank 16th in points off turnovers per game (16.5) while the Knicks rank 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.1).
- New York averages 14.1 second chance points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. Los Angeles ranks last in second chance points allowed per game (14.4).
- Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Lakers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 112.2 points per game (7.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.0 points per game (7.7 above their season average).