The Detroit Pistons (17-14) will be at home in Little Caesars Arena when they go head-to-head against the New York Knicks (17-14). Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
New York Knicks at Detroit Pistons ATS Preview
The Knicks beat the Boston Celtics in their last outing, 102-93. Michael Beasley was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 13-for-20 shooting. New York dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.278 (above their season average of 0.189) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.7 (above their season average of 26.0). For those same stats, Boston had marks of 0.163 and 19.1, respectively.
In the Pistons last matchup, they were topped by the Dallas Mavericks, 110-93. With 11 points and 13 rebounds, Detroit’s Andre Drummond had a good outing. Dallas made 14 of their 30 three pointers (46.7 percent). Detroit, on the other hand, held the Mavericks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.1 (below their season average of 17.5).
Detroit figures to have an advantage on the offensive glass in this battle. The Pistons currently rank ninth in offensive rebounding percentage (23.8 percent), while New York ranks 20th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.9 percent).
Of New York’s 30 games with betting action, 15 have finished under the O/U total, while 18 of Detroit’s 31 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (17-14 for New York; 17-14 for Detroit), but the Pistons hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). Detroit is 18-11-2 ATS, while the Knicks are 17-13.
Beasley has taken his game to another level over the last five games for New York, averaging 16.4 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 218 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 204.5. The Pistons won 111-107, covering as 1-point favorites. The Pistons dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.533. The Knicks were 30.0 and 0.506, respectively, for those same stats. In the loss, Kristaps Porzingis led all scorers on the team with 33 points.
New York Knicks at Detroit Pistons Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 17th in fast break points per game (10.1) while the Knicks rank 29th (6.2).
- New York ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (40.1) while Detroit ranks 11th (42.7).
- New York averages 22.6 assists per game, which ranks 12th in the league. Detroit ranks 24th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- New York ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (39.7) while Detroit ranks sixth (41.3).
- Detroit is 7-6-1 ATS at home, while New York is 3-8 ATS on the road.
- The Knicks have 6 unders, 4 overs and 1 push in 11 road games.
- The Pistons have 7 overs and 7 unders in 14 home games.
- Detroit is 9-4 when they allow less than 100 points, while New York is 8-0.
- The Knicks are 16-6 when they score above 100 points, while the Pistons are 15-4.
- The Knicks rank 19th in blocks per game (4.5) while the Pistons rank 29th (3.4).
- Detroit ranks seventh in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while New York ranks 28th (19.8).
- The Pistons rank 11th in three pointers allowed per game (27.5) while the Knicks rank last (32.6).
- The Pistons average 7.9 steals per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. The Knicks rank 24th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- Detroit ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while New York ranks 17th (12.4).
- Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Pistons have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Detroit has defeated opponents by an average of 0.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 105.6 points per game (1.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.2 points per game (1.3 below their season average).