The New York Knicks (12-12) will attempt to end a five-game road losing streak when they square off with the Chicago Bulls (4-20) at United Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 199 points with New York opening as a 4-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on WGN Channel 9.
New York Knicks vs. Chicago Bulls ATS Preview
In the Knicks last game, they beat the Memphis Grizzlies, 99-88. With 10 points, 10 assists and six rebounds, New York’s Jarrett Jack had a solid outing. New York played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 30.3 (above their season average of 26.5) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.590 (above their season average of 0.516). Memphis was 11.1 and 0.500, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bulls hope to maintain momentum after defeating the Charlotte Hornets in their last game, 119-111. Chicago rallied around Kris Dunn, who had 20 points, 12 assists and six rebounds. Chicago’s 0.515 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Charlotte, who had a rate of 0.450. The Bulls mark was above their season average of 0.477, while the Hornets was below the 0.537 mark opponents have averaged against Chicago this season.
Chicago should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Chicago ranks fifth in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.6 percent), while New York forces the seventh-fewest turnovers (13.8 percent). Additionally, the Knicks are among the NBA’s best on the offensive backboards, ranking third in offensive rebounding percentage (26.7 percent). The Bulls, however, rank third at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 81.2 percent.
Both of these teams have typically finished under the O/U total. Games featuring New York have gone under 58.3 percent of the time, while 60.9 percent of Chicago games have gone under. The Knicks hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 12-12 SU and 14-10 ATS, while the Bulls are 4-20 SU and 9-11-3 ATS.
Robin Lopez has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Chicago, averaging 14.8 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Knicks won all three matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, New York won 100-91. The Knicks played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 38.1 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.506. For those same stats, the Bulls were 22.4 and 0.412, respectively.
New York Knicks vs. Chicago Bulls Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Knicks rank eighth in points in the paint per game (46.0) while the Bulls rank 28th (38.3).
- Chicago ranks 15th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.1) while New York ranks 26th (19.7).
- New York ranks sixth in assists per game (23.3) while Chicago ranks 26th in assists allowed per game (24.4).
- New York ranks 24th in steals per game (6.8) while Chicago ranks 26th (6.7).
- Chicago is 3-5-2 ATS at home, while New York is 2-6 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 5 of the Knicks 8 road games, while 8 of the Bulls 10 home games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, New York is 6-0 and Chicago is 2-5.
- The Knicks are 11-5 when they reach the century mark, while the Bulls are 3-6.
- The Knicks rank 16th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Bulls rank 28th (3.5).
- New York ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (39.5) while Chicago ranks 28th (46.3).
- The Knicks rank second in second chance points per game (15.1) while the Bulls rank 23rd (10.3).
- The Bulls rank 22nd in fast break points per game (9.0) while the Knicks rank 28th (6.1).
- Chicago ranks eighth in three pointers attempted per game (31.0) while New York ranks 28th (22.8).
- Chicago is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 push.
- The Bulls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, down from 10.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 100.4 points per game (3.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 99.4 points per game (4.2 below their season average).