The Charlotte Hornets (10-19) can put an end to a five-game home losing streak when they challenge the New York Knicks (16-13) at Spectrum Center. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks vs. Charlotte Hornets Free Preview
The Knicks were victorious over the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last matchup, 111-96. Michael Beasley was the games leading scorer with 30 points on 11-for-18 shooting. The Knicks made 21 of their 26 free throws (80.8 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.652 (above their season average of 0.518).
In the Hornets last game, they were beaten by the Portland Trail Blazers, 93-91. Nicolas Batum led Charlotte in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Portland held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.380 (below their season average of 0.489). Charlotte, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 5.2 (better than their season average of 11.9).
It will be a showdown of opposite tempos as the up-tempo Hornets will look to push the slower-paced Knicks. The Hornets rank eighth in possessions per game while the Knicks are 20th. Also, the Knicks are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive backboards, ranking fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (26.2 percent). The Hornets, meanwhile, rank first at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 81.8 percent.
Of New York’s 29 games, 14 have finished over the projected point total, while 16 of Charlotte’s 29 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Knicks have a clear advantage. They are 16-13 SU and 17-12 ATS, while the Hornets are 10-19 SU and 11-16-2 ATS.
Dwight Howard has been outstanding over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 22.0 points, 14.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 231 points, well over the projected point total of 209. The Knicks won 118-113, covering as 2-point underdogs. New York did a great job of converting from the free throw line (16-21; 76.2 percent). Charlotte, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.0 vs. 20.7). Kristaps Porzingis was the games top overall scorer with 28 points.
New York Knicks vs. Charlotte Hornets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Knicks rank 21st (8.3).
- Charlotte ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (25.4) while New York ranks last in three pointers allowed per game (32.8).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (9.8) while New York ranks 13th (12.5).
- New York is 3-7 ATS on the road with 5 unders, 4 overs and 1 push.
- Charlotte is 8-8 ATS at home with 10 unders and 6 overs.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Charlotte is 5-2 and New York is 7-0.
- The Hornets are 10-7 when they score over 100 points, while the Knicks are 15-6.
- The Knicks rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (39.8) while the Hornets rank 13th (42.9).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.1) while New York ranks 29th (19.9).
- The Knicks rank first in rebounds allowed per game (40.0) while the Hornets rank 23rd (44.1).
- The Hornets rank 23rd in fast break points per game (9.2) while the Knicks rank 29th (6.1).
- New York ranks ninth in assists per game (23.0) while Charlotte ranks 28th (20.1).
- Charlotte is 1-3-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 2.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 109.6 points per game (4.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 104.0 points per game (0.3 above their season average).