The New York Jets (+7) are set to get their 2018 campaign underway against the Detroit Lions (-7) at Ford Field. The Monday Night matchup gets going at 7:10 p.m. ET and fans can watch the action on ESPN.
Betting Preview: New York Jets vs. Detroit Lions
New York is a live dog and is currently getting 7 points in this matchup. The Jets are also receiving +220 moneyline odds while the Lions are -260. If one squad finds paydirt in the early stages it will generate a decent live betting opportunity. Vegas has placed the over/under (O/U) at 44.5 points.
The game’s total has been driven higher after originally being set at 44. The opening spread (-7) has remained consistent.
The Lions were 9-7 straight up (SU) last year while the Jets went 5-11 in 2017. When playing against conference opponents, the Jets were 5-7 SU and the Lions were 8-4 SU versus National Football Conference teams. The Jets finished 0-4 SU against non-conference teams while the Lions were 1-3 SU against non-conference competition.
The Jets averaged 208.0 passing yards per game and 114.2 rushing yards per game versus their 12 AFC opponents last year. They managed to score 18.5 points per game against those opponents while giving up 23.0 per contest. When playing non-conference competition, they averaged 19.0 points and 26.5 points-allowed, in addition to 251.3 pass yards per game and 83.0 rush yards per contest.
In matchups against out-of-conference foes in 2017, the Lions passed for 297.8 yards per game and rushed for 85.0 per game on their way to 22.5 points per outing. When facing just NFC opponents, the offense recorded 26.7 points per game by averaging 273.3 passing yards and 73.4 rushing yards. The Lions defense allowed 28.5 PPG to non-conference foes and 21.8 to teams in conference..
New York Jets vs. Detroit Lions Free Betting Pick
SU Winner: Lions, ATS Winner: Lions, O/U: Over
- New York put up 19 passing touchdowns last season.
- Detroit produced 29 passing touchdowns last season.
- New York created 13 rushing touchdowns last season.
- Detroit put up 10 rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Jets put up 4.0 yards per carry last season while allowing a YPC of 4.0 to opponents.
- The Lions tallied 3.4 yards per carry last season and gave up a YPC of 4.2 to opponents.
- The New York offensive line allowed 47 sacks last season. Their defense created 28 sacks.
- Detroit O-line gave up 47 sacks last season. Their defense sacked opposing signal-callers on 35 occasions.