Josh Bailey, Mathew Barzal, and the New York Islanders will do battle against Sean Couturier, Claude Giroux, and the Philadelphia Flyers at the Wells Fargo Center in a Metropolitan Division showdown. The game will get started at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 23, and you are able to view the game live on NBC Sports Philadelphia.
New York Islanders vs. Philadelphia Flyers Odds
Moneyline and Over/Under (O/U) odds have not yet been posted for this matchup.
New York is 42-32 straight up (SU) and has earned 13.4 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 74 regular season matches, 45 of its games have gone under the total, while 24 have gone over and just five have pushed. As the away team this season, the Isles are 20-16 SU.
New York has converted on just 14.9 percent of its power play chances this year, a figure that’s ranked 30th in the NHL. Its penalty kill is ranked 19th in the league, and the team’s successfully killed off 80.3 percent of its penalties..
Averaging 26.2 saves per game with a .926 save percentage, Robin Lehner (21-19-5) has been the best option in goal for New York this season. If head coach Barry Trotz chooses to rest him, however, the team could turn to Thomas Greiss (25-16-2 record, .926 save percentage, 2.29 goals against average).
Philadelphia is 36-38 straight up (SU) and has lost 3.1 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 74 regular season matches, 39 of its games have gone over the total, while 34 have gone under and just one has pushed. It’s 18-19 SU at home this year.
The Flyers have converted on just 16.7 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that’s ranked 24th in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 25th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 78.8 percent of all penalties.
Cam Talbot (25.4 saves per game) has been the top choice in the crease for the Flyers. Talbot has 11 wins, 22 losses, and three overtime losses and has maintained a poor .894 save percentage and 3.32 goals against average this year.
New York Islanders vs. Philadelphia Flyers Betting Predictions
Prediction: SU Winner – Flyers, O/U – Under
- Six of New York’s last ten games have been decided by two goals or more. The team is 2-4 in those games.
- Penalties and power plays may have a key role in the outcome of this game. The Islanders are 17-11 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 31-21 in games where they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes. The Flyers are 16-13 when the team serves fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 25-21 in games where their penalty minutes are in the single digits.
- New York is 4-5 in games decided by a shootout this season while Philadelphia is 2-1 in shootouts.
- New York is ranked 20th this season with 11.2 giveaways per game. That figure has trended higher recently, as the team’s averaged 15.9 giveaways over its last 10 games and 13.2 giveaways over its last five.
- Philadelphia is ranked 15th this season with 9.9 giveaways per game. That figure has regressed recently, as the team’s averaged 11.0 giveaways over its last 10 games and 11.4 giveaways over its last five.
- New York skaters have given out the league’s eighth-most hits per game (24.7).