The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (13-3, 2-1 SthLnd) can extend a nine-game home winning streak when they square off against the New Orleans Privateers (7-8, 4-0 SthLnd) at William R. Johnson Coliseum. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018.
New Orleans Privateers vs. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Odds Preview
The Privateers beat the McNeese State Cowboys in their last matchup, 82-75. Bryson Robinson was the games high scorer with 31 points on 10-for-13 shooting. New Orleans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 35.2) and a turnover percentage of 13.4 (better than their season average of 21.2). McNeese State was 20.0 and 16.1, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Lumberjacks last matchup, they topped the Northwestern State Demons, 64-56. Stephen F. Austin was lifted by Kevon Harris, who was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 6-for-9 shooting. Stephen F. Austin played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5 (above their season average of 35.7) and a free throw rate of 0.417 (above their season average of 0.253). For those same stats, Northwestern State put up marks of 22.0 and 0.306, respectively.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Stephen F. Austin. Stephen F. Austin ranks 306th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.6 percent), while the gambling defense of New Orleans forces the 31st-most turnovers in the NCAA (23.2 percent). Moreover, the Privateers 257th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 101.7) will go head-to-head against the Lumberjacks 22nd-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 92.4).
Travin Thibodeaux has really been playing well over the last five games for New Orleans, averaging 17.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.4 steals and 1.4 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Privateers won 82-65. The Privateers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.636 and a turnover percentage of 18.7. The Lumberjacks were 0.173 and 26.4, respectively, for those same stats.
New Orleans Privateers at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Stephen F. Austin, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Under
- The Privateers average 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 90th in the nation. The Lumberjacks rank 105th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 15th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while New Orleans ranks 18th (30.9).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks second in steals per game (11.8) while New Orleans ranks 173rd in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- The Lumberjacks average 13.9 assists per game, which ranks 123rd in the NCAA. The Privateers rank 205th in assists allowed per game (16.0).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 39th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while New Orleans ranks 98th (21.3).
- The Lumberjacks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.6, down from 13.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Privateers have scored an average of 72.4 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (2.3 below their season average).