The Sam Houston State Bearkats (17-11, 11-4 SthLnd) will attempt to prolong a seven-game home winning streak when they meet the New Orleans Privateers (14-12, 11-4 SthLnd) at Johnson Coliseum. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018.
New Orleans Privateers vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Free Preview
The Privateers were victorious over the McNeese State Cowboys in their last game, 90-74. Makur Puou was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 9-for-12 shooting. New Orleans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 19.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.522 (above their season average of 0.492). McNeese State put up marks of 15.2 and 0.426, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Bearkats played, they beat the Houston Baptist Huskies, 86-78. Sam Houston State was lifted by Christopher Galbreath Jr., who was the top scorer from either team with 33 points on 13-for-21 shooting. Sam Houston State’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Houston Baptist. The Bearkats had a rate of 0.548 (above their season average of 0.485), while the Huskies posted a mark of 0.460.
Sam Houston State should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Bearkats currently rank 89th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.488), while New Orleans is 261st in effective field goal percentage (0.494).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Privateers won the last contest 75-63. The Privateers played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.500 and a turnover percentage of 14.0. For those same stats, the Bearkats were 0.150 and 18.7, respectively.
New Orleans Privateers at Sam Houston State Bearkats Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – New Orleans, ATS Winner – New Orleans, O/U – Under
- The Bearkats rank 73rd in assists per game (15.1) while the Privateers rank 176th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- Sam Houston State averages 37.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 61st in the NCAA. New Orleans ranks 71st in rebounds allowed per game (33.0).
- New Orleans ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (18.4) while Sam Houston State ranks 224th (23.7).
- The Bearkats rank 18th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Privateers rank 188th (7.0).
- New Orleans ranks 104th in blocks per game (3.5) while Sam Houston State ranks 227th (1.8).
- The Bearkats’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, down from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Privateers have scored an average of 72.4 points per game (2.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.6 points per game (1.1 below their season average).