The Washington Wizards (16-14) will be at home in Capital One Arena when they take on the New Orleans Pelicans (15-15). Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
New Orleans Pelicans at Washington Wizards ATS Preview
In the Pelicans last outing, they fell to the Denver Nuggets, 117-111. New Orleans Anthony Davis put up 28 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks in the game. Denver had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (23.9 vs. 15.9). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (10-14; 71.4 percent).
The Wizards are hoping for a better outcome after their 106-99 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last outing. Bradley Beal was the games high scorer with 27 points on 10-for-27 shooting. Cleveland did a great job of making free throws (10-12; 83.3 percent). Washington, meanwhile, held the Cavaliers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 9.5 (below their season average of 20.1).
New Orleans could have a difficult time creating turnovers. Washington ranks seventh in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.4 percent), while New Orleans forces the eighth-fewest turnovers (13.7 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. New Orleans games have gone over 63.3 percent of the time, while games featuring Washington have gone under 70.0 percent of the time. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (15-15 for New Orleans; 16-14 for Washington), but the Pelicans have the advantage against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 17-13 ATS, while the Wizards are 14-16.
Jrue Holiday has taken his game to another level over the last five games for New Orleans, averaging 25.6 points, 6.0 assists and 1.6 steals per game.This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Wizards won both matchups played against each other last season. In the last game, Washington won 105-91. The Wizards played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.229 and a turnover percentage of 11.5. For those same stats, the Pelicans were 0.143 and 13.8, respectively.
New Orleans Pelicans at Washington Wizards Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Wizards rank 10th in fast break points allowed per game (10.3) while the Pelicans rank 28th (14.2).
- New Orleans averages 12.1 second chance points per game, which ranks 14th in the league. Washington ranks 25th in second chance points allowed per game (13.5).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.7) while Washington ranks 20th (22.0).
- New Orleans is 9-6 ATS on the road with 9 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Washington is 4-10 ATS with 9 unders and 5 overs.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Washington is 13-1 and New Orleans is 4-0.
- When reaching 100 points, the Pelicans are 13-10 and the Wizards are 13-7.
- The Wizards rank 14th in three pointers allowed per game (28.5) while the Pelicans rank 27th (31.4).
- Washington ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while New Orleans ranks 28th (9.2).
- The Wizards rank fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while the Pelicans rank 26th (19.1).
- The Pelicans average 43.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 17th in the NBA. The Wizards rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (50.8) while Washington ranks 20th (41.6).
- Washington is 0-5 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Wizards average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 2.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 117.8 points per game (7.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 119.0 points per game (7.3 above their season average).