The Utah Jazz (10-11) will be at home in Vivint Smart Home Arena when they meet the New Orleans Pelicans (11-10). Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Friday, December 1, 2017.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Utah Jazz Odds Preview
The Pelicans were blown out by the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last matchup, 120-102. New Orleans DeMarcus Cousins contributed 17 points, 10 rebounds and six assists in the game. Minnesota did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (17-19; 89.5 percent). New Orleans, meanwhile, forced the Timberwolves into a turnover percentage of 16.0 (above their season average of 12.2).
In the Jazz last matchup, they dismantled the Denver Nuggets, 106-77. With 24 points on 12-for-16 shooting, Derrick Favors was the top scorer from either team. The Jazz forced 17 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.563 (above their season average of 0.510).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of New Orleans. New Orleans ranks 24th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.7 percent), while the pesky defense of Utah forces the second-most turnovers in the NBA (17.4 percent).
Of New Orleans 21 games, 11 have finished under the projected point total, while 11 of Utah’s 21 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (11-10 for New Orleans; 10-11 for Utah), but the Pelicans hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 12-9 ATS, while the Jazz are 11-10.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Jazz won all three games last season. In the most recent contest, Utah won 108-100. Utah won the rebounding battle. The Jazz had 11 offensive rebounds and 49 total rebounds, while the Pelicans had five and 37, respectively.
New Orleans Pelicans at Utah Jazz Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank second in points off turnovers per game (20.3) while the Pelicans rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.5).
- Utah ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.7) while New Orleans ranks 18th (4.4).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.0) while Utah ranks 21st (21.0).
- New Orleans ranks 10th in second chance points per game (13.0) while Utah ranks 11th in second chance points allowed per game (11.1).
- Utah is 9-4 ATS at home, while New Orleans is 7-4 ATS on the road.
- Of the Pelicans 11 road games, they have 6 unders and 5 overs.
- In 13 home games, the Jazz have 8 unders and 5 overs.
- Utah is 7-2 when they allow below 100 points, while New Orleans is 4-0.
- When reaching 100 points, the Jazz are 8-4 and the Pelicans are 9-5.
- The Jazz rank fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.3) while the Pelicans rank 22nd (30.6).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (52.0) while Utah ranks 27th (39.2).
- The Jazz average 9.6 steals per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 25th in steals allowed per game (8.9).
- The Pelicans rank 15th in rebounds per game (43.5) while the Jazz rank 26th (40.3).
- Utah ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (8.0) while New Orleans ranks 26th (13.0).
- Utah is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Jazz average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.2, up from 2.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 106.6 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.6 points per game (5.3 below their season average).