The New Orleans Pelicans (34-26) head to AT&T Center to meet the San Antonio Spurs (36-25). The Pelicans will try to extend their six-game winning streak. San Antonio opened as a 5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 220 points. Action begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. San Antonio Spurs Odds Preview
The Pelicans were victorious over the Phoenix Suns in their last game, 125-116. Anthony Davis was the top scorer from either team with 53 points on 16-for-29 shooting. The Pelicans made 31 of their 40 free throws (77.5 percent) and held the Suns to an effective field goal percentage of 0.469 (below the 0.521 mark opponents have averaged against New Orleans this season).
In the Spurs’ last game, they topped the Cleveland Cavaliers, 110-94. San Antonio was lifted by LaMarcus Aldridge, who was the team’s high scorer with 27 points on 9-for-20 shooting. San Antonio played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.291 (above their season average of 0.186) and a turnover percentage of 8.3 (better than their season average of 12.3). Cleveland was 0.110 and 13.4, respectively, for those same stats.
The offensive glass could be a huge advantage for San Antonio in this battle. The Spurs rank seventh in offensive rebounding percentage (23.5 percent), while New Orleans ranks 20th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.9 percent). It will also be a matchup of conflicting styles as the up-and-down Pelicans rank second in possessions per game, while the more methodical Spurs rank 29th.
Of New Orleans’ 60 games, 37 have finished over the O/U total, while 32 of San Antonio’s 61 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Pelicans are 34-26 SU and 32-28 ATS, while the Spurs are 36-25 SU and 31-26-4 ATS.
Davis has really been playing well recently for New Orleans, averaging 39.2 points, 14.4 rebounds, 3.4 steals and 2.8 blocks over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 197 points, which was under the projected point total of 206.5. The Pelicans won 107-90, covering as 1-point favorites. The Pelicans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.272 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.525. For those same stats, the Spurs were 0.159 and 0.432, respectively. Davis put up a double-double in the victory with 29 points and 11 rebounds.
New Orleans Pelicans at San Antonio Spurs Odds Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Spurs rank ninth in rebounds per game (44.2) while the Pelicans rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (45.1).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.4) while San Antonio ranks 13th (22.8).
- San Antonio ranks 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.6) while New Orleans ranks 25th (17.9).
- New Orleans ranks third in blocks per game (5.6) while San Antonio ranks fourth (5.6).
- New Orleans is 19-12 ATS on the road, while San Antonio is 17-10-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 15 of the Spurs’ 28 home games, while 16 of the Pelicans’ 31 road games have gone under.
- San Antonio is 24-10 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while New Orleans is 8-1.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Spurs are 29-7 and the Pelicans are 32-18.
- The Spurs rank 16th in fast break points allowed per game (11.8) while the Pelicans rank 28th (14.5).
- San Antonio ranks seventh in three pointers allowed per game (26.7) while New Orleans ranks 27th (31.0).
- The Pelicans rank second in points in the paint per game (51.1) while the Spurs rank 19th (42.9).
- The Spurs rank 19th in steals allowed per game (7.8) while the Pelicans rank 26th (8.4).
- San Antonio ranks 11th in second chance points per game (12.8) while New Orleans ranks 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Spurs have been outscored by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. For the season, San Antonio has defeated opponents by an average of 3.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 125.8 points per game (13.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.0 points per game (4.4 above their season average).